pea gravel on pond floor ?

Reaction score
is it ok to put small pea gravel on my pond floor ?
1) to hide the liner and make it more aesthetically pleasing,
2) i would like to get a cold water loach and it will need something to dig around in,
i can get hold of smooth round pea gravel so it wont be sharp if that makes it better !

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The pea gravel will get slowly covered with dirt. The liner gets covered with a layer of algae/dirt after a few months it looks like a natural bottom. But if the fish needs something to dig around in pea gravel is better then putting in larger rocks.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
if you want an area for a loach to dig in put a container in the pond filled with gravel or whatever.. the whole floor is not a good idea.... fish waste and decaying plant matter will settle in and under the gravel and rot, releasing toxins into the water...the idea of a pump and filter is to remove this debris and biologically breakdown and make safe what is left behind. what settles in the stone cant be removed and will be a food source for anerobic (low to no oxygen) bacteria. that produces these toxins...mainly hydrogen sulfides which are toxic and can give your pond a foul odor like rotten eggs. a few larger stones placed around the pond atleast leave gaps large enough to allow some water circulation around and between them.

Reaction score
wasnt thinking about the whole pond floor just a patch in the shallow end, good idea of using a container koiguy ! ile try and find something that isnt square, and quite shallow,

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i might suggest some tenax plastic hardware fencing cut 6 to 8 inches high and as big of a ring as you like. or if youve got some black diamond style landscape border. the kind with the tubing on top and comes with the slide in joining tubes.

Reaction score
for small area for them to dig in, why not try a new oil pan (those black pans you use to change oil???) cheap, black, and disappear to the eye in the water. I plant my water lilies in them myself.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The oil pans work great, i have my lilies in them also. Maybe keep the gravel level low so the fish rooting around might keep it in the pan, well at least most of the gravel.

Ask a Question