Pea green color water in pond

Reaction score
The water turned green about 5 days ago. Yesterday I noticed the fish swimming at the top. I do have a large pump and yesterday I put in some bubblers to give them more oxygen.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi, and welcome!

Can you tell us a little more about your pond: how old is it, size, number, kind, and of fish, what kind of filtration, do you have plants, etc? Do you test your water for ammonia, etc., and if so, what are the test results (numbers tell more than "OK"). The more info you can provide, will help.

Algae blooms are common (but that shouldn't cause distress for the fish). Most on GPF use quilt batting to filter out the algae -- can put some in a basket and let the water run through as it reenters the pond (like from a waterfall). Others use UV lighting. Most here will discourage using chemicals, but that's your decision.

Adding the bubblers was a good first move. Has it helped the fish?

I would test your water -- get a liquid test kit -- and get back to us with the results?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and yep you will need to test and maybe look at your fish closer .Are the just swimming near the top because they want fed or isit something else and only wat to know is testing the water

Reaction score
We fed them, but they do not want to eat. The food is floating there. When we usually come out to the pond, they know and they come up and are ready to eat. But since the water is green we can only see them when they come to the surface.

Reaction score
I have a Challenger Fluidart C40 or 50 filter for my pond. This filter uses these little white beads. And I also use a Pondmater 1000 in the pond for filtration. I am not sure on the amonia numbers? I will have to go and buy a tester and test the water.

Reaction score
I did a 50% water change, put dechlorinator in and some ProformC (?) not sure of the name as my boyfriend takes care of the pond. But we lost about 12 fish. About 8 koi and 4 or so gold fish. Things are looking better. We test the water and everything seems to be ok. But the water is still a little green, it's not clear. :(

Reaction score
It is 2600 gallons. We had about 26 fish. Not all koi. Goldfish and koi mixed. We've had them in there for about 2 1/2 years and this is the first time the water went green and we lost so many. We only lost 1 in those years until a few weeks ago when we lost so many.

Reaction score
Roughly how many Koi do you still have? Unless all your koi are tiny, you were nearly maxed out with just the 8 koi and 4 or so goldfish that you have lost. With good filtration/high water quality (proven by regular testing), your pond is only large enough to support a MAX of 8-10 koi (always factor adult size).

Without pictures and real details (water test results for ammonia, nitrite, KH, PH, nitrates, and phos), all we can do is guess what is going on. My GUESS is you just got caught with your pants down with too many fish, and an algae bloom at the same time. Do you have a UV??? I am GUESSING you dont, but asking anyways ...

Ask a Question