addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We had a ton of fry make it last year, but then again started out with just 4 fish............. this year the herd eats the eggs as quick as they are laid.

Reaction score
Also interesting is the current barley theory is it has to decompose and produce peroxide to kill the string algae, a process that is suppose to take several weeks. That it happened in 2 days...well maybe the algae died from other causes.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Or... Barley extract that Mogsie put in allowed for quicker reaction by feeding heterotroph bacteria allowing them to produce an allelopathic chemical. ;)

Mogsie, out of curiosity, what is your pH ??

Reaction score
Not to hijack this topic from where it's gone, but I followed what seemed like some good advice (a midst the pages and pages of 'interesting' banter). I purchased an Aqua 57 watt UV clarifier for my Savio skimmer (for $198 + free shipping on eBay). I installed it two days ago and have been taking daily photos of progress. I'll post the photo series in a couple weeks, but I can already see a difference. I didn't bother with a write-up or pictures of the install because it's very simple.

I also have to laugh that a forum on "ponding" (just like any other hobby) suffers from over-opinionated experts and flame wars. I'm not complaining or pointing fingers. I just love that even filling holes with water can be taken to this level. As always, thanks for the great advice and insight!

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I also have to laugh that a forum on "ponding" (just like any other hobby) suffers from over-opinionated experts and flame wars. I'm not complaining or pointing fingers.
Heh, if ya got that impression from reading stuff here, then, heh, ya need to open your eyes and find out this is child's play. Ya should go check out koiphen.com. Dang, some of them can get dirty, childish stuff, tearing each other down when it is only all about filters or water chemistry. I know it is only probably 5% of the members, but they're the loudest. Heh, gotten so bad that some over-moderating has been done ... sometimes you might get a demerit by a moderator for just pointing out a problem and a solution to it,; always gotta ask for permission ... silly stuff. Oh man, so many overly sensitive types over there as well ... Ugh, I am glad it is not like that here. Don't get me wrong though; Koiphen does have quite a few gems full of factual and analytical posts that will occasionally become louder than the others. Heh, I was reading a thread about the magical FIR component to Bakki House shower tower medium; oh, I would say 5 pages out of the 25 page passionate discussion was actually useful.

I just love that even filling holes with water can be taken to this level.
I bet, if there was a "counting ant" hobby, then there would still be the same silliness happening ... somehow ... almost seems like human nature. ;)

Reaction score
It happens with every hobby... I also collect classic cars and wow, those guys can go crazy! I'm sure I've been guilty of it myself, but I'm still a bit of a newbie to ponds so my britches haven't gotten that big yet. I like the crowd here. In fact, when I first started Addy sent me a big box of plants just being nice. I've never run into anyone so generous at any other forum!

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Hey. she did that for me too!! Yeah, she's good like that ... hmmm ... I wonder if that was like the worm and now i am just hooked forever to this place. ;) Good folk here. :) :0000000057:

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
Yeah, most people on here are very helpful and will give advice on what they have done. There are a few that like to look too far into things and take it to a much higher level that it needs to be. Addy has been great. She too sent me a big box of plants for my bog when I got it done. It was her build thread that pushed me over the hump to decide to build one. Best thing I have done for my pond so far.

Reaction score
I also have to laugh that a forum on "ponding" (just like any other hobby) suffers from over-opinionated experts and flame wars. I'm not complaining or pointing fingers. I just love that even filling holes with water can be taken to this level. As always, thanks for the great advice and insight!
You were expecting something different? It's a forum.

Reaction score
No, Waterbug I wasn't expecting something different. To quote a web site I discovered recently:

Most chat rooms, doesn't matter the subject, have resident "experts". You get to be an "expert" by hanging around longer than anyone alse and flaming anyone who questions their dogma. The need to be "right" is overwhelming in many people.

Source: Waterbug Design

Reaction score
waterbug i used a liquid barley straw extract alongside the straw bales, which claims to work much faster, now this transition from string algae to single celled algae wasnt like 1 died and the other started, it was more of a merger transition (for want of a better word), as the string algae was dying off the single celled algae was growing, when i said after 2 days the string algae was "gone" i used that word loosely, maybe i should have said on the 2nd - 3rd day after treatment the string algae had substantially reduced, by that i mean approx 75%, and the rest of the process was quick to follow,

@crsublette, my ph is sitting at 8.3, 1st time ive done any water tests in months !!

this is what the spec sheet says for the extract...

Previously known as Aquahydrotech, the ecopond Barley Straw Extract is an eco-friendly product for the treatment of algae and blanketweed, with a new name but the same great performance. It enhances the natural water chemistry, leaving pond water clean and clear.​
The product contains Aqueous Barley Straw as a source of hydrogen peroxide and no other synthetic chemicals or artificial pesticides.​
Directions for use:​
  • Shake well before use.
For ponds with an existing algae problem:​
  • Add an initial dose of 125 ml per 4,500 Litres (1,000 gallons) directly into the pond water.
  • To maintain, add 20 ml from dosage chamber every week in spring and summer.
As a preventative measure:​
  • Add 20 ml from dosage chamber for every 4,5000 litres (1,000 gallons) of pond water every week throughout the spring and summer.
Treatments:
  • 500 ml Bottle treats ponds upto 9,000 Litres (2,000 gallons).
  • 1 Litre Bottle treats ponds upto 18,000 Litres (4,000 gallons).
  • 2.5 Litre container treats upto 45,000 Litres (10,000 gallons).
  • 5 Litre container treats up to 91,000 Litres (20,000 gallons).
  • 25 Litre container treats up to 454,000 Litres (100,000 gallons).
During particularly warm weather it is advisable to increase the frequency of dosing to maintain optimum results.​

Reaction score
waterbug i used a liquid barley straw extract alongside the straw bales, which claims to work much faster, now this transition from string algae to single celled algae wasnt like 1 died and the other started, it was more of a merger transition (for want of a better word), as the string algae was dying off the single celled algae was growing, when i said after 2 days the string algae was "gone" i used that word loosely, maybe i should have said on the 2nd - 3rd day after treatment the string algae had substantially reduced, by that i mean approx 75%, and the rest of the process was quick to follow,
I understand and thanks for providing spec sheet. Here's info I've dug up on barley over the last 15 years if you're interested.

Ask a Question