j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Will be neat watching what and how you do it and bet it will be nice to look at cuz you did such a wonderful job on your beautiful pond. That bog will make a great filter too.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Neat you will love your bog, I sure love mine

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I am really looking forward to starting on it. I love bogs because I never have to water the plants! LOL just top off the water every so often. I don't have enough time for more flower beds I need to water. But I did get a sprinkling system installed in the front yard this last fall. Haven't used it yet but I am looking forward to it :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I just watered plants when first put in, even with our last few really dry summers they have done ok. The carnivorous bog does need to be watered, they like to dry out then get soaked. I hope they survive this really cold winter. The bog you can ignore except to toss plants that grow fast and well.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'll be following this as I am currently making a new "turtle-bog" and will be starting on a main bog in the spring.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We started digging earlier than expected as I needed the dirt to build up a new flower bed. Dear sweet hubby is out there today finishing off most of the digging for me. I hit the jackpot marrying an Okie LOL The man can work a shovel LOL

Probably going to just leave the hole as is till early April when I will line it and start the bog. Need to get the brick done on the addition before I can do anymore.

I posted some updated pics in the gallery after I had dug quite a bit. I will pots more pics later today after hubby is done.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I added the updated pictures after hubby finished digging. There is just a small area to dig left, but I will wait till closer to getting it set up. This is what we did with the dirt along with a truck load of compost.

Before and After. The old fence was chain link covered in virginia creeper and our neighbors ground level is two feet higher then ours on the fence line. There was a piece of sheet metal behind the chain link doing a very poor job of holding his dirt back. We had the driveway poured last fall and a retaining wall built back to the end of the driveway. So my hubby and I built the fence and moved the dirt from the bog location to bring the new flower bed up to the neighbors ground level.

I moved most of the plants that were already in the small bed and have almost filled the bed already.

Attachments

• DSCN3953.JPG
    DSCN3953.JPG
    272.7 KB · Views: 357
  • DSCN4807.JPG
    DSCN4807.JPG
    152.7 KB · Views: 320
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Wanted to give an update on the bog build. Well, it's on hold. :(

We fired our contractor. The addition to our house was supposed to be finished Nov 1 2013. It was about half finished by the end of January and all his crews quit because he could not pay them and all his suppliers started going after him for money. He assured me he would still complete the job. But by mid March I just didn't see that happening so we fired him and took over as general.

I found a brick guy who is coming to do the brick at the end of April and a roof guy who is doing the roof in mid June. I can't start the bog till roof and brick is on since the bog is next to the addition.

I figure by the time it is all said and done it will have been a year before it is complete. :( But at least I know it will be complete, eventually.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Well you had to do it or sounds like who knows when it would get done. Glad you didn't pay him a bunch of money and then find that he ran off w/it all. Now you are in charge and hopefully things will speed up for ya. It will happen and look so nice when finished.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I added an updated this picture to the gallery.
DSCN5085.JPG

Well the brick is finally done :) I am happy happy happy. There is still a lot to do to finish the addition. But I can start working on the bog now :) I have a bunch of rocks I have been collecting for this project and a bunch of plants sitting in my pond ready to be planted in the new bog.

I somewhat cleaned up the area. I need to move the small pile of wood and clean out the hole. Then I'll dig it a little bigger.

In the new picture showing the bog area and new brick, you'll notice two large windows and a glass door. That is our new master bedroom and looks directly at the pond :)

This is a picture standing in the doorway.
DSCN5086.JPG

And here is the bed I built with the dirt from the bog dig. :) This is the view from the other window on the wall behind the bog.

DSCN5087.JPG

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Looking good. How far away is your bog from your pond? Are you going to connect the two in any way?

Ask a Question