2. pecan

pecan

pecan updated Pecan Bog Build 2014

View updates to this showcase item...

pecan, May 11, 2014
    1. Advertisements

3. pecan

pecan

Pump came in the mail last week, liner showed up today. :)

Pump is a 800 GPH mag drive pump and the liner is 45mil EPDM 10' x 25'

Started putting the foam insulation sheets down this morning. I will finish after work. I am thinking this may be done by Sunday! :) Ill take some more pics. I dug the small pond area out a little more so the pump can go down there instead of in the gravel. It will help pull water from the open area and push it back up through the other side of the bog.

pecan, May 20, 2014
    RobAmy and addy1 like this.
  4. pecan

pecan

Well I finished putting the foam down. I lined the entire bog with it and lined the floor of the small attached pond. Then I used old pieces of pond liner in the small attached pond as an underlayment. I also added a piece where I am going to put some pretty large rocks to separate the bog from the small pond. Then I put the liner in. Hard work those liners are. phew... I thought it wouldn't be so bad as it is much smaller than the liner we put in the big pond but it was difficult.

If I can get my memory card reader to work I will post some pictures.

pecan, May 21, 2014
  5. pecan

pecan

pecan, May 21, 2014
  6. pecan

pecan

I posted a lot of new pictures in the gallery.

pecan, May 23, 2014
    sissy likes this.
  7. pecan

j.w I Love my Goldies

You carved that out like it was a piece of art sculpture. It's gonna look so nice when you get it all done w/lots of neat plants in there :)

j.w, May 23, 2014
  8. pecan

pecan

Thanks JW! I am excited. I have a bunch of plants growing in pots in the pond that I plan on moving once the gravel is in tomorrow. Our soil is a joy to dig really, if you can call digging a joy LOL. Nice sandy loam makes it easy to carve :)

pecan, May 23, 2014
    j.w likes this.
  9. pecan

j.w I Love my Goldies

I feel your excitement and will be neat to see it all done and then watch them grow
    [​IMG]

j.w, May 23, 2014
  10. pecan

pecan

After filling it with water to test it I found the plastic crates could not hold the weight of the pots once they had water in them. So I drained it, removed the plastic crates and replaced them with cinder blocks. I wanted to avoid having cinder blocks in there as they can raise the ph and our ph is already very high. But I cant think of anything else that can hold the weight. When I changed them out I broke the seal on the silicone around the hoses going in the pots. So I scraped the silicone off and am waiting for the pots to dry so I can re-do it. I'll add a little water to them both just to check the seals before the gravel goes in.

Sure am glad I tested it pre-gravel :)

pecan, May 23, 2014
    addy1 likes this.
  11. pecan

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

Really nice!

addy1, May 23, 2014
    pecan likes this.
  12. pecan

pecan

Thanks Addy! I keep telling myself "no fish!" I really want it to be a good habitat for frogs and other critters without worrying about fish eating them. I just need to hold myself to it LOL as I think the pool is big enough for maybe two small comets. But I wont add them LOL

I think the total gallons will be around 800 but I can't say for sure as its hard to tell how much space the gravel will take up.

I am hoping this it just a zero maintenance critter sanctuary :) without fish I wont need to muck it out or worry about water changes and with the size of the bog compared to the little pond at the end it should stay pretty clean.

I am going to add an air stone down by the pump and probably some aquatic lighting.

pecan, May 23, 2014
  13. pecan

pecan

Update on the bog.

Hubby and I had planned on getting it done yesterday, but we were stopped by rain early in the morning. So we got up early today and headed down to a mountain an hour south of us to pick up more rocks for the edges. Dropped them off and immediately went to the nursery for a yard of river rock. Got home and unloaded it into the bog, then back to the nursery for another yard of river rock. It was hot today, probably 90 degrees and I have not worked that hard in a long time.

Once the second yard of gravel was in the in bog it was time to do the edges, then plants, then clean up. At one point I was so exhausted I just didn't think I could work on it anymore. But then I ate a couple pickles.... Best pickles in the world and the put a spring back in my step.

It is pretty much finished now. Even transplanted most of the plants. But we do need more river rock. I think probably a half yard. I want the rock to be above the water in most of the bog. Maybe next weekend as I can barely move my hands from hauling rocks and shoveling with no gloves on :( My fingers are swollen and red, I can't hardly bend them.

Anyway, here is the mostly finished bog :) DSCN5304.JPG

DSCN5301.JPG DSCN5303.JPG

pecan, May 26, 2014
    pondlover, sissy and taherrmann4 like this.
  14. pecan

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

Love those rocks. I feel your hand pain, mine always hurt after working on the pond, rocks, gravel, actually they hurt all the time.........poor things.

Great layout with those pots, very creative.

addy1, May 26, 2014
    pecan likes this.
  15. pecan

j.w I Love my Goldies

Oh my gosh that looks beautiful and I too love those edging rocks. Those pots are cool and will look so good when your bog matures w/ all the plants you add. Just love it :love:
    It was worth all your pain and hard work :)

j.w, May 26, 2014
  16. pecan

pecan

Thank you both :) I really love it! I cant wait to get more river rock to top off the bog, then sit back and watch the plants grow. With no fish it will be very little maintenance. I am even planning on leaving it running year round since all the plumbing is inside the bog.

I am so exhausted today though. I really don't remember last time I worked so hard as I did yesterday. But luckily we are having a little BBQ with family in our back yard, food is already prepared. Slow cooker pulled pork sandwiches, beans, potato salad and watermelon. So sitting back under the shade tent, with misters attached and cold beer in my hand is up next on the agenda. :)

YAY! :)

pecan, May 26, 2014
    j.w likes this.
  17. pecan

j.w I Love my Goldies

Have fun today and relax [​IMG]

j.w, May 26, 2014
  18. pecan

pecan

Realized I never did post a pic of the bog all grown in last summer. bog2.jpg bog3.jpg bog.jpg

pecan, Dec 28, 2014
    DrCase, haver79, j.w and 1 other person like this.
  19. pecan

Tula

Beautiful! I've been missing your posts, good to see you back.

Tula, Dec 28, 2014
  20. pecan

sissy sissy

wow love it and like addy said those pots really add to it .Gotta love the different color rocks also They bring out the color of the pots .I am trying something i saw on pinterest .They dipped cloth in a slurry of cement and allowed it to dry over a 5 gallon bucket into the shape of pots .I did add holes on the bottom so it could drain ..Found it was better after it dried to keep adding slurry of cement brushed on to make it stiffer .So far 3 layers brushed on it ..

sissy, Dec 28, 2014
    j.w likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question