Pecan Bog Build 2014

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Looking good. How far away is your bog from your pond? Are you going to connect the two in any way?
The pond is about 25 feet from the wall with the windows and door on the new bedroom. I am not planning on connecting them. The bog will have a couple small pond areas in it and mostly gravel and plants. Along with some large pots that water will overflow out of back into the gravel. I am thinking it will be sort of a wildlife, bog.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
love the garden that came out of the bog build dirt .I also really like your black window frames on your house .I know it has nothing to do with your pond or bog but it sure does look nice against the color of your house are you going to do the door black also .It just reminds me of a how great a guy looks in a sharp black tux

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
love the garden that came out of the bog build dirt .I also really like your black window frames on your house .I know it has nothing to do with your pond or bog but it sure does look nice against the color of your house are you going to do the door black also .It just reminds me of a how great a guy looks in a sharp black tux

Thanks Sissy! When we bought the house it had black shutters and black doors, so we painted the window casing to match. I really like the look and when they do the roof in June we decided on a black roof. :) I have gone back and forth about painting the new door black like the others. But it is south facing and I am afraid it will get too hot. So I think I will paint the actual door beige to match the windows and just paint the frame black.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I got out there this morning and dug dug dug to my little hearts content. My husband thinks I am crazy. I was out there at 6 am in with shovel in hand. By 2 pm I was done digging. Between the digging and spreading dirt I am exhausted.

I decided to go with a little pond at the bottom of the bog. :) once we build the patio off the addition, we will be able to walk out the door and look down into a very small pond.

The over all depth of the bog is about 10". It will have a cinder block collar raising it another 6".
The little pond at the bottom is 2' deep and with the collar will be 2.5'.

No fish will be in here it is just going to be a bog/wildlife sanctuary :) I would love it if frogs decided to move in.

The last picture shows where the pump box will live and the power source.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
pecan updated Pecan Bog Build 2014

With the cold weather today there wasn't a lot I could do outside. So I built and painted the dressing for the boarded up window (behind the bog as seen in several of the photos) inside then installed it. This boarded up window was covered by the AC unit prior to the addition. Then when the AC unit was moved it became visible. Inside the house behind it is the basement bathroom and just sheet rock where the window was. But the vent pipe is for the bathroom fan so it needed to stay.

I caulked the gaps and just need to wait for the caulk to dry, then I will touch up the paint and paint the screws so you can't see them. Looks much better though.

It will mostly be covered by decorate rocks, pots and plants in the bog, but at least what we will end up seeing of it will look nice.

View updates to this showcase item...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Pump came in the mail last week, liner showed up today. :)

Pump is a 800 GPH mag drive pump and the liner is 45mil EPDM 10' x 25'

Started putting the foam insulation sheets down this morning. I will finish after work. I am thinking this may be done by Sunday! :) Ill take some more pics. I dug the small pond area out a little more so the pump can go down there instead of in the gravel. It will help pull water from the open area and push it back up through the other side of the bog.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Well I finished putting the foam down. I lined the entire bog with it and lined the floor of the small attached pond. Then I used old pieces of pond liner in the small attached pond as an underlayment. I also added a piece where I am going to put some pretty large rocks to separate the bog from the small pond. Then I put the liner in. Hard work those liners are. phew... I thought it wouldn't be so bad as it is much smaller than the liner we put in the big pond but it was difficult.

If I can get my memory card reader to work I will post some pictures.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
pecan updated Pecan Bog Build 2014

I posted a lot of new pictures in the gallery.

I am just about done. Finished the plumbing, pump housing etc last night. Filled it with water to test it today prior to filling with gravel tomorrow. I found the crates under the large pot could not hold the weight once filled with water so I had to resort to cinder blocks. Once the water was flowing I shimmed the pots slightly to get the right flow direction. Next gravel, plants and rocks around the edge. :)

View updates to this showcase item...

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You carved that out like it was a piece of art sculpture. It's gonna look so nice when you get it all done w/lots of neat plants in there :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Thanks JW! I am excited. I have a bunch of plants growing in pots in the pond that I plan on moving once the gravel is in tomorrow. Our soil is a joy to dig really, if you can call digging a joy LOL. Nice sandy loam makes it easy to carve :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I feel your excitement and will be neat to see it all done and then watch them grow

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
After filling it with water to test it I found the plastic crates could not hold the weight of the pots once they had water in them. So I drained it, removed the plastic crates and replaced them with cinder blocks. I wanted to avoid having cinder blocks in there as they can raise the ph and our ph is already very high. But I cant think of anything else that can hold the weight. When I changed them out I broke the seal on the silicone around the hoses going in the pots. So I scraped the silicone off and am waiting for the pots to dry so I can re-do it. I'll add a little water to them both just to check the seals before the gravel goes in.

Sure am glad I tested it pre-gravel :)

Ask a Question