Pecan Bog Build 2014

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Thanks Addy! I keep telling myself "no fish!" I really want it to be a good habitat for frogs and other critters without worrying about fish eating them. I just need to hold myself to it LOL as I think the pool is big enough for maybe two small comets. But I wont add them LOL

I think the total gallons will be around 800 but I can't say for sure as its hard to tell how much space the gravel will take up.

I am hoping this it just a zero maintenance critter sanctuary :) without fish I wont need to muck it out or worry about water changes and with the size of the bog compared to the little pond at the end it should stay pretty clean.

I am going to add an air stone down by the pump and probably some aquatic lighting.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Update on the bog.

Hubby and I had planned on getting it done yesterday, but we were stopped by rain early in the morning. So we got up early today and headed down to a mountain an hour south of us to pick up more rocks for the edges. Dropped them off and immediately went to the nursery for a yard of river rock. Got home and unloaded it into the bog, then back to the nursery for another yard of river rock. It was hot today, probably 90 degrees and I have not worked that hard in a long time.

Once the second yard of gravel was in the in bog it was time to do the edges, then plants, then clean up. At one point I was so exhausted I just didn't think I could work on it anymore. But then I ate a couple pickles.... Best pickles in the world and the put a spring back in my step.

It is pretty much finished now. Even transplanted most of the plants. But we do need more river rock. I think probably a half yard. I want the rock to be above the water in most of the bog. Maybe next weekend as I can barely move my hands from hauling rocks and shoveling with no gloves on :( My fingers are swollen and red, I can't hardly bend them.

Anyway, here is the mostly finished bog :)
DSCN5304.JPG

DSCN5301.JPG
DSCN5303.JPG

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Love those rocks. I feel your hand pain, mine always hurt after working on the pond, rocks, gravel, actually they hurt all the time.........poor things.

Great layout with those pots, very creative.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Oh my gosh that looks beautiful and I too love those edging rocks. Those pots are cool and will look so good when your bog matures w/ all the plants you add. Just love it :love:
It was worth all your pain and hard work :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Thank you both :) I really love it! I cant wait to get more river rock to top off the bog, then sit back and watch the plants grow. With no fish it will be very little maintenance. I am even planning on leaving it running year round since all the plumbing is inside the bog.

I am so exhausted today though. I really don't remember last time I worked so hard as I did yesterday. But luckily we are having a little BBQ with family in our back yard, food is already prepared. Slow cooker pulled pork sandwiches, beans, potato salad and watermelon. So sitting back under the shade tent, with misters attached and cold beer in my hand is up next on the agenda. :)

YAY! :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
wow love it and like addy said those pots really add to it .Gotta love the different color rocks also They bring out the color of the pots .I am trying something i saw on pinterest .They dipped cloth in a slurry of cement and allowed it to dry over a 5 gallon bucket into the shape of pots .I did add holes on the bottom so it could drain ..Found it was better after it dried to keep adding slurry of cement brushed on to make it stiffer .So far 3 layers brushed on it ..

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Thanks everyone! We ended up with about 12 baby comets in there, most in the bog area! They must have come in on plant roots. I spent most of the summer catching a fish here and there and putting them in the big pond. I am thinking I got them all and any left would not survive the winter. Really didn't want fish in there anyway.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
sneaky fish :rolleyes:not telling the fish angel came to visit you

Sissy, my sister was over and said look there's fish in there. I said yep, I didn't put them in there. She got this look of confusion and said "I guess I don't know as much about nature as I thought I did". LOL

Ask a Question