Pennywort in winter

FountainMan

Dihydrogen Monoxide-scaping.
Reaction score
Howdy, this past week after cleaning up the pond, I propagated some Pennywort plants in my waterfall header.

I noticed what appeared to be new leaves/growth but haven’t taken a close look at the Pennywort plants prior to propagation. Can’t tell exactly how old the new growth is.

Anyways, given the mild winters Texas gets, will the Pennywort keep growing throughout the winter, does it slow down, or will grow halt completely?

FountainMan

Dihydrogen Monoxide-scaping.
Reaction score
This is what my Pennywort plants look like now. Kind of a mess after propagation. Hoping the plants will better organize themselves and fill in in the following weeks but don’t know if it being winter means they’ll stay like this or if they’ll continue to grow.
A8298197-7A1D-4966-88CC-E480E4842129.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Pennywort tends to be invasive so you have a chance. I bring mine inside (am in Mi) and put it in an aquarium for the winter. Tends to get a bit leggy but grows. Outside, I would imagine if it doesn't freeze, you should be okay. You could always put up some sort of 'greenhouse' type tenting to help keep temps up should your forecast be for sub-freezing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Agreed. Growth will slow in the cooler temps, less sun, but so long as it’s not freezing, it will grow. If they’re predicting freezing temps, set up a frame covered in plastic sheeting, and if it’s an extended freeze, you might do a double walled frame and sheeting. Use the clear or mostly clear plastic sheeting like is used for paint messes.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Here's my very knowledgable answer - one never knows. If there's one lesson I've learned from my years of gardening, it's this - what works for one may not work for another, what works in one location may not work in another, and what works one year will very likely NOT work the next. There are just a tremendous amount of variables, all outside of your control.

Pennywort is notoriously invasive though, so I suspect it will find a way to survive.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I wish the cold weather would kill it off! Planted a few pieces in a flower bed years ago and I'm still trying to get rid of it. Roundup won't even kill it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am in zone 6 and penny wart survives the winter justtttttttt fine I rip out arm fulls of it each year

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I wish the cold weather would kill it off! Planted a few pieces in a flower bed years ago and I'm still trying to get rid of it. Roundup won't even kill it.
I am in zone 6 and penny wart survives the winter justtttttttt fine I rip out arm fulls of it each year

And there's your pennywort warning @FountainMan !

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I yanked and tossed the first year, I could tell it was going to be a nightmare! none left!

Ask a Question