Pennywort

Reaction score
Hi All,

Was at the pet store yesterday and I saw they have some sad looking teeny tiny pots for pennywort for sale. I saw a lot of fish nibbling on them.

I don't really have a spot for them that is not accessible by the fish. So would the fish just eat them all? I saw a post from JB that suggested they are aggressive growers (what weather do they like?). They seem to grow in and out of the water (would this be a good plant to plant on the edge to trail in?).

I know watercress likes cool weather, so that's a no go for me. I haven't seen water celery here yet (do they grow by seeds?). Does water mint grow by seeds?

I will be in Tampa next week, if anyone has any seeds that can be mailed to me (happy to pay - since the pennywort is probably about $10 for a 2inch by 2inch pot), I would love some. Where would I find seeds to buy for underwater plants? Pet Stores? I just don't know where to look.

Thanks.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Reaction score
Priscilla, when my celery comes back full force in the bog, I'd be glad to send you a couple starts of it for postage. Shouldnt take too much longer, its already coming up.

Thank you so much for the offer, BUT I live in the Cayman Islands, so its International - no plant shipments. Only seeds :( That's why I'm having such a hard time finding water plants.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I used to grow pennywort in the greenhouse years ago. It is a nice happy little looking plant that did very well for me. It runs all over the pond and no need to transplant as it will never stay in the pot, but will send runners that spread very quickly. Place the pennywort near the water surface so fish cannot get into pot. This plant will outgrow what fish can eat once the plant is established in pond.
I have had it winter here in Canada below the ice years ago, but then one hard winter and it was gone. I should look for more this year as I miss it's trailing growth habbit and enjoyed the little round shaped leaves that poke up above the water nicely!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Colleen - I love your description of it as "a happy little looking plant". I think of my plants that way, too - cheerful, regal, domineering... Just a little more garden fun! And now that I have watched your videos I read your posts in your voice!

Reaction score
I used to grow pennywort in the greenhouse years ago. It is a nice happy little looking plant that did very well for me. It runs all over the pond and no need to transplant as it will never stay in the pot, but will send runners that spread very quickly. Place the pennywort near the water surface so fish cannot get into pot. This plant will outgrow what fish can eat once the plant is established in pond.
I have had it winter here in Canada below the ice years ago, but then one hard winter and it was gone. I should look for more this year as I miss it's trailing growth habbit and enjoyed the little round shaped leaves that poke up above the water nicely!

What do you grow it in? Soil? Bare root?

So I put it in a pot that is underwater, but out of reach of the fishy's and wait for it to take off, as long as they can't pull it from pot, it will go crazy?

Ask a Question