Pennywort

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I am realizing that the invasive ground growth in my backyard is pennywort. How have you got it planted in your pond? Potted or floating? And is it invasive in water as well?

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Wow it grows fast? Hmmm I may need to do some additional research then. The plant isn't unattractive but if it takes over the pond, I wonder if I would just be able to scoop it out and have it gone. I find my parrots feather seems to hold leaves and such and is hard to scoop around whereas the pennywort looks like tiny lotus.
Do you know how hard it is to remove from the pond once introduced? I would let it free float on the surface. I only have 2 surface pots that have iris in them so don't think they'd be bothered by some of the PW.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yeah I've noticed. It is all over my yard.. Thanks, I'll pull some up tonight, pitch it in and watch carefully. Maybe the answer to my algae is right at my toes all along.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It's a shame Pennywort is so invasive. It looks really nice in small clumps.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had pennywort, it all just disappeared, last year, did not make it over winter, land and pond. Strange

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
T this is what my goldfish pond bog looked like last year. I pulled a LOT of it this year, but have lots more. Addy, would you like some? I believe I got the original stuff from you!
Mine is super easy to pull, this time of year. But, once it gets a hold in another month or so, forget about removing much, just enjoy it, and work on removing it in the fall or early spring before the roots go too deep. I think it's a FANTASTIC filtering plant or one that takes up lots of nutrients. My bog is all pea gravel, so that does make it easier to pull plants, too. This is about 1/3 of my bog. This year I can see the other plants that are in there. LOL
022.JPG

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Just might ce, just might will let you know.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
BTW Tbendl, I NEVER let my PW leave the bog. I've heard it's extremely hard to control once out of it's boundaries. I can control it in the bog just fine. Another plant that I have heard is extremely invasive if it jumps the curb is chameleon plant. I had one, it barely made it 2 years, and don't see it this year. Maybe it got pulled out when I removed a bunch of the PW last fall. So, won't have to worry about that one either. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I bought some for my bog this year. So far, they are doing well. I'm trying to get coverage to keep the algae down. Also bought a Red Vein Dock, it is doing really good too. My bog must of finally matured, plants are doing better this year.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The irony is I pull this stuff up by the handful's in my yard and garden which means that I have basically been throwing away a great filter.... I think I'm going to try some in a pot in the pond and see what happens. I just know I'm going to have to pay close attention to it and make sure it doesn't take over.
Thanks CE about the Chameleon plant, I have one in a pot that I guess can also go in the pond and Sunshine, yay! So glad the bog is filling in for you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have a corkscrew I bought when I made the bog (about 2 years ago), it did horrible. So I took it out and planted it in the ground. It didn't do very well, yesterday I dug it up and put it back in the bog so hopefully it will do good now.

Ask a Question