Pennywort

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Rush? I potted mine in the pond. It did well last year but not yet this year. I might have them sitting too low in the water though. I'm thinking of trying pea gravel instead of kitty litter. I have a corkscrew and a blue.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Yes, a rush. Nothing has done well the first 2 years ... lol Not sure why, the pond is well established, the lilies in the pond do great. I want to buy more plants for the bog, I'm going to wait and see how these do before spending more money on plants. What's a blue?

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It's a similar type of rush, just a darker coloring to it. Put a feeler on this forum for what you want in the bog, some of the people here may be able to help you out as they thin their bogs out this spring and fall. Everything in my bog was sent from people here and I am very grateful for that since we really don't have a pond shop locally.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a - Arlington, VA
I have it in my bog (with pea gravel) and it covers nicely while letting the iris and dwarf cattails and Japanese rush grow through. I pull handfuls out regularly and give them away to other local ponders through craigslist or just compost it, but always tell people to consider it invasive and keep it out of any native waters. I don't let it build up too much, since when I pull it it also effects the roots of other plants it is growing through. It will run freely around a pond, but if it gets into the other pots it may get rooted in and be tough to dislodge without harming the other plants' roots. And you already know what it does in your yard...

Where you are you could also grow Asiatic Pennywort (Centella Asiatica), which expands by runners like strawberries, instead of the continuous vine like habit of the hardy pennywort most of us grow. I think it would do very well potted up and growing in a bog, although I'd keep the crown at about the surface of the water. You'd probably need to winter over a pot of it to make sure you had some to start the spring with if the winter killed it all. This is a long standing Ayurvedic herb and has recent interest from mainstream medicine since it seems that some of the reported uses have merit. Supposedly it is good for high blood pressure, mental acuity, reducing wrinkles, reducing varicose veins, digestive issues and just about any other ailment you can think of. It is used in a popular drink in Vietnam. The leaves look closer to wild violets than like the mini-lotus look of hardy pennywort. You can grow it from seeds or a few places have plants.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I found some in my bog the other day already, I was looking at it more for around the edges or even free floating in the pond. I'm not sure what variation I have but I know it's free. Thanks for the info milhousebarks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have some pennywort I got from CE last year. Mine is just starting to come back. CE if you are driving this way let me know. I'll take some off your hands and you are of course invited for lunch again. I think almost all the pond plants we have are invasive in some way. It is illegal to sell Water Hyacinths or Water Lettuces in Chicago for that reason even though the climate here is too cold for them to survive the winter!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I will be heading to WI in July and again in August, Keith. Keep me posted if there are any plants you would like. By then I will have plenty of penny wart, if you want more. Beware, if your gets going well, you will have all you want/need and then some! I think it took my plants a year or two to get well established and then it went nuts. It sure filtered the water in the goldfish pond, though. I can see a difference already in it not being as clear, or maybe it was because I was messing in the bog and stirred things up. Will check tomorrow again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Found this old thread on pennywort :) Goodness, I just filled a 5 gallon Lowes bucket with some I thinned from our baby bog! I can now at least see some of the other plants I ordered from Trickers. I'm going to have to stay on top of this pretty, but crazy fast growing plant !

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I had a huge bog in Illinois. One year about this time, I filled my huge oversized wheelbarrow as high as I could heap it!!! Tossed it on the compost pile. Took me several years to get rid of it. Hated that it took over the other bog plants, but loved that it grew so well and obviously was a GREAT filtration plant in the bog!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have two species--one of which will die over the winter unless I take it inside. The hardier stuff hasn't been growing much, but the tropical stuff is taking over. Probably too hot for hardy stuff right now and it will start growing when it gets a bit cooler. We'll see.

Ask a Question