Peppermint Oil & Goldfish

Reaction score
Hi there, new member, and thought I would lead off with an obscure question:

does peppermint oil, diluted in water, harm goldfish?

the story:

built a decent sized (about 1000 gallons) pond for my aging mother to enjoy in her retirement. Stocked it with about a dozen medium sized goldfish (and now a whole lot of fry -- another problem), and it has/had good plant coverage, with various marginals, lillies, hawthornes and hyacinth. All was good.

Unfortunately as it turns out one of my mother's neighbors down the street is a beekeeper. And once the bees discovered the new pond they started showing up, not a few at a time, but literally by the time I took action, probably up to 80-100 at a time (the situation was only compounded by the arrival of a decent number of wasps who appeared to also discover the pond). The pond was rendered unusable for the majority of each day. Not exactly what I had in mind of my mother's peaceful retreat.

So I began a campaign to try to discourage, and now finally to just block the bees from foraging in the pond. As of three days ago I finally just pulled all the marginals, laid beams across the pond, and draped large sheets of fine netting (too small for the bees and wasps to get through) over the entire pond. While that seems to be working of course ir means the pond is out of commission. So knowing that I have to open the pond back up sooner or later, I am planting peppermint plants around the edges, and what I would really like to do is dilute some peppermint oil into a spray can (supposed to deter bees who find it smelly) and spray all of the floating hyacinth (which the bees love for its stability), the exposed rocks, etc. and see if I can prevent the hive(s) from considering the pond their prefferred water source once again. But obviously such a course of action would lead to a significant amount of the peppermint/water solution getting sprayed/washed into the pond. Hence my question: is peppermint oil toxic to goldfish in relatively diluted conditions (diluted in water, and then diluted into 1000 gallons of pond water)?

thx for any help.

Reaction score
Hi there, new member, and thought I would lead off with an obscure question:

does peppermint oil, diluted in water, harm goldfish?

the story:

built a decent sized (about 1000 gallons) pond for my aging mother to enjoy in her retirement. Stocked it with about a dozen medium sized goldfish (and now a whole lot of fry -- another problem), and it has/had good plant coverage, with various marginals, lillies, hawthornes and hyacinth. All was good.

Unfortunately as it turns out one of my mother's neighbors down the street is a beekeeper. And once the bees discovered the new pond they started showing up, not a few at a time, but literally by the time I took action, probably up to 80-100 at a time (the situation was only compounded by the arrival of a decent number of wasps who appeared to also discover the pond). The pond was rendered unusable for the majority of each day. Not exactly what I had in mind of my mother's peaceful retreat.

So I began a campaign to try to discourage, and now finally to just block the bees from foraging in the pond. As of three days ago I finally just pulled all the marginals, laid beams across the pond, and draped large sheets of fine netting (too small for the bees and wasps to get through) over the entire pond. While that seems to be working of course ir means the pond is out of commission. So knowing that I have to open the pond back up sooner or later, I am planting peppermint plants around the edges, and what I would really like to do is dilute some peppermint oil into a spray can (supposed to deter bees who find it smelly) and spray all of the floating hyacinth (which the bees love for its stability), the exposed rocks, etc. and see if I can prevent the hive(s) from considering the pond their prefferred water source once again. But obviously such a course of action would lead to a significant amount of the peppermint/water solution getting sprayed/washed into the pond. Hence my question: is peppermint oil toxic to goldfish in relatively diluted conditions (diluted in water, and then diluted into 1000 gallons of pond water)?

thx for any help.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Hi Brick, welcome to the forum. Please indicate in the User CP what part of this magnificently long state you are in.

I cannot find anything regarding peppermint as a poison to Koi. Koi and Goldfish are of the same family so unless someone else has a good source of information that disputes this, I think you are ok.

Thanks for the tip on peppermint, I occasionally get bees here. I wonder if mint works. We use that for Spring Rolls.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Hi Brick, welcome to the forum. Please indicate in the User CP what part of this magnificently long state you are in.

I cannot find anything regarding peppermint as a poison to Koi. Koi and Goldfish are of the same family so unless someone else has a good source of information that disputes this, I think you are ok.

Thanks for the tip on peppermint, I occasionally get bees here. I wonder if mint works. We use that for Spring Rolls.

Reaction score
The only thing I could possibly imagine is some type of irritation to the gills or even the eyes. I am just guessing here, maybe try to contact a vet about it.

Reaction score
The only thing I could possibly imagine is some type of irritation to the gills or even the eyes. I am just guessing here, maybe try to contact a vet about it.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Thats a good Question
I dont like to drink any kind of oil

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Thats a good Question
I dont like to drink any kind of oil

rdk

Reaction score
HI Brick I have the same problem. Large amount of wasps have taken over my pond. They are coming from far away to get water. The only thing I can do is cover the pond so they can't get any water. This is bad news. RDK

rdk

Reaction score
HI Brick I have the same problem. Large amount of wasps have taken over my pond. They are coming from far away to get water. The only thing I can do is cover the pond so they can't get any water. This is bad news. RDK

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Keep in mind, that any oil will float on the surface of the water and that could lead to less oxygen in the water. Plus to DrCase's point the oil will get consumed in the food and may coat the gills.
I would not spray near the water or anything that goes into the water with peppermint oil.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Keep in mind, that any oil will float on the surface of the water and that could lead to less oxygen in the water. Plus to DrCase's point the oil will get consumed in the food and may coat the gills.
I would not spray near the water or anything that goes into the water with peppermint oil.

Reaction score
Maybe just surround the perimeter of the pond with the plants or containers of peppermint oil and avoid adding it directly to the pond at first to see if it helps. That may be enough and you will know for sure. I never knew peppermint oil repeled wasps, wonder if it works on other insects and pests. Worth checking into. I know citronella (sp?) plants help with mosquitos and other flying pests, not sure of wasps.

Reaction score
Maybe just surround the perimeter of the pond with the plants or containers of peppermint oil and avoid adding it directly to the pond at first to see if it helps. That may be enough and you will know for sure. I never knew peppermint oil repeled wasps, wonder if it works on other insects and pests. Worth checking into. I know citronella (sp?) plants help with mosquitos and other flying pests, not sure of wasps.

Ask a Question