Pergola for pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Has anyone built a pergola over their pond to catch falling leaves? I have a perfect place for a pond in my yard here in Florida but there is a huge live oak over top and I don't know if a skimmer will be able to handle the leaf load. I do not want a net...

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I built one to keep the Kingfishers hungry! Still have a net for herons and leaves, though.
John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Has anyone built a pergola over their pond to catch falling leaves? I have a perfect place for a pond in my yard here in Florida but there is a huge live oak over top and I don't know if a skimmer will be able to handle the leaf load. I do not want a net...
well, my WHOLE pond is covered with a pergola (and screen on top, sides, etc); works fine for keeping just about everything out including leaves. Now, I DO have two small trees inside the house which do drop leaves, but not a huge amount and typically, I've gotten the winter tent on before many have hit the water as the plastic keeps them on the pondhouse edges.

pic, below of both pondhouse and winter tent;

210811 - patiocam showing lights on.jpg

210309 - under pond tent copy.jpg

210218 - snow on pond tent.jpg

smilie sword twirl.gif

Ask a Question