Permanent net structure needed, badly

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
RE panels...I do like the ridged flat steel design. Similar to what we have on the screen house. The downside is that no light gets transmitted. Half fabric-half panels come to mind but having any fabric means that I'm defeating the purpose of lower maintenance.

When the panels were installed on the screen house, the supplier emphasized the need for some accessories that keep the wind from whipping up under the edges. To my frustration, I never got to see what he was talking about though I did buy the whole package. The contractor had everything in place before I could see for myself.

Re which structural design....good points. I only know too well that the larger the openings between wood slats, the less support...particularly for fabric.

One major question that I need to ask....when rain water drips from the treated wood will the pond ecology and the fish be harmed?
There's less "poison" in treated wood these days but not entirely.

Theoretically, treated wood can have a protective "marine" coat applied. But, nothing will last and I'm of the opinion that wood needs to breathe.

Thanks for your careful attention to details. Your feedback is well appreciated.

Good morning!

The treated wood has had no impact on our pond. In our case the roof run-off to the pond is never in contact with the wooden part of the structure, and the run off from the parts that do get wet is absorbed by the ground around the outside of the pond and isolated from the pond water by the liner. We have plants around the edge of the slab where the run off would be considered concentrated and they show no signs of stress.
Our pond isn't very sophisticated, but we have all of the natural inhabitants that any body of water would have in our area including species of insects and critters that would naturally shun our pond if the water were the least bit toxic.

Concerning the wind aspect, with all of the trees and buildings surrounding your pond, short of a very severe storm is wind an issue?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Great quotes! Will Rogers, no matter how many times I read him, sounds new.
Unfortunately, winds whip up. We lost our coverage from the golf course a number of years ago. Tornados took out
pine and hemlock. Eight mature ones covered the yard, and the tops of the sweet bays that surround the pond snapped.
What an horrendous day. Most homes got spared. 40 mile gusts are common. They come with every front that goes through the ohio valley.

At this point, I feel that I've done my homework. It's a wait and see as to what the contractor decides is best. As much as he seemed to bond with us, I never know how these relationships evolve. He's a busy guy, in demand. I suspect that my project is more complicated than most of his clients. Our yard does not have easy access.

You've been a big help with helping me focus. Or, you've been a big enabler. :)I feel that this project is taking on a life of its own. Once I get to "see it" I feel a compulsion to do it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Great quotes! Will Rogers, no matter how many times I read him, sounds new.
Unfortunately, winds whip up. We lost our coverage from the golf course a number of years ago. Tornados took out
pine and hemlock. Eight mature ones covered the yard, and the tops of the sweet bays that surround the pond snapped.
What an horrendous day. Most homes got spared. 40 mile gusts are common. They come with every front that goes through the ohio valley.

At this point, I feel that I've done my homework. It's a wait and see as to what the contractor decides is best. As much as he seemed to bond with us, I never know how these relationships evolve. He's a busy guy, in demand. I suspect that my project is more complicated than most of his clients. Our yard does not have easy access.

You've been a big help with helping me focus. Or, you've been a big enabler. :)I feel that this project is taking on a life of its own. Once I get to "see it" I feel a compulsion to do it.

An independent contractor is also a consummate salesman. He has to be to keep busy. Having said that, don't let him bully you. All you're asking him to build is an 18'X18' covered shed without wall studs, doors, windows, siding, or interior floor. Granted, it will require some engineering to develop the perimeter timbers, but with appropriate bracing from the legs the unsupported span quickly becomes less than 16'. (I see some antique corbels...:) ). Two guys could carry the timbers I would think, and although I don't know the situation, would access from the golf course side be an option? Are there any barn reclaiming outfits in your area? (re-purposing an old barn frame might be interesting......)

Glad you're enjoying the project! It's always fun to have a "mission" to sort out....it keeps the juices flowing! :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Timothy, You're hired! We like your style. Could have used your experience and sentiments when dealing with the contractor of the screen house. Never could accept why someone would undermine their good skills with deceit and hostility. When you mentioned "bully", he was a handful. I got what I wanted but it wasn't fun. The more knowledgeable I became, the better I was at managing him. Reminds me too well that "youth is wasted on the young."

I've been trying to visualize an opportunity for where and how I can blend character and function. The braces may be the element to do this. There is a place that collects vintage wood. I like your suggestion...again. If I end up keeping it bare bones there's always a way to accessorize with cool stuff to hang...lots of choice hanging spots. And, it's a given that I will need some lattice work sited where the wind blows the leaves into the pond. Good opportunity to grow shade loving vines.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
:D:D Thank you. If I still lived in Owensboro I'd take you up on that!

Looks like you've got a pretty good handle on it. Keep us posted on your progress!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I heard back from contractor. He prefers a mono pitch. I asked him his reasons....await to hear his response.
Originally, he preferred the traditional a-frame pitch which would mimic the over hang that looks out over the pond.
118888stringers could be added, here too.118896
Functionally, I'm not sure which is easier to blow off leaves.
An a-frame seems easier to get a blower positioned.
The mono pitch directs the leaves into one place, behind the pond which would be where they go now.

As for metal panel vs fabric...my wife wants the light. Coolaroo has made quality shade cloths that hold up.
Not all their sail cloths are the same. So, knowing that a fabric application is likely....any thoughts on mono vs
a-frame pitch?

Did you live in owensboro,ky for a long time? Maine is quite a switch. I spent a few weekends in Sullivan, Maine....many years ago.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hi, I tend to agree with the contractor particularly since you'll be using a fabric "roof". The low side wouldn't have to be standard height, it could be anything you wanted which (assuming it's lower,) would make it easier to put the fabric up in the spring, and remove in the fall after the leaves are down. Of course I don't know how you're situated with prevailing winds, majority of leaf debris, and the aesthetics of which way the structure will be oriented, but netting all around with access to the pond by lifting the leaf net would be reasonable. A mono slope may also help to gather leaves in one area where an A frame would distribute them to two area's.

I worked on a Coast Guard river boat home ported in Owensboro about 2.5 years from early '67 to late '69. I retired from the CG here in Maine in '81 and decided to stay. We get cold, snow, ice, and long winters, but those things don't wipe out a lifetime of work like a tornado, hurricane, or flood. When it gets really cold it can be a nuisance, but it's temporary.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Just a suggestion, add a good hedge of conifers between you property and the golf course. Exciting gardens has some, I was just looking at some for the north side of my property to keep north winds down. Or there are deciduous kinds that make good hedges if your only concerned about it in warm weather. If you have a local growerey, you might find a tree suitable to your area you like better, but look at Exciting gardens .com. They have a few species that are hybrids for fast growing hedges that get quite tall.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Jamie...After the tornadoes wiped out a line of 50 ft pines and hemlock, which was about five years ago, i went to costco and purchased 12 leyland cypress (or, was it emerald cypress?). But, some nearby remnants of maple trees accelerated their width and a lack of sun have blunted the growth of these cypress trees which are now about six feet tall and many are browning on the backside. We've also planted native tree like bushes: service berry and american cranberry. Not much more I want to do. As a rule fast growing trees end up being trouble.

Timothy...The coolaroo fabric is sturdy enough to leave up all year round. Except for about 30-45 days in the dead of winter "stuff" keeps falling from various trees into the pond. This fabric cleans up decently with a strong hose spray. As long as there are not large areas for the fabric to sag from the weight of ice and snow, I am good with leaving it up. In fact, it needs to stay up.

The good news is that the contractor got back with me. So many of these guys fade away, as I think that they saw our projects as a little too complicated and possibly the home owner as too particular, or something. Which is probably true.o_O When we do have workers on site, we think of ourselves as supportive. They get lots of chocolate and a hot lunch if they want it. I regularly keep food around for one pot meals. All quality stuff from the local farmer's market.

In the midst of the Vietnam war I strongly considered the Cost Guard. I frequently sailed out of New Orleans and regularly passed the Coast Guard station wondering if there was going to be a day that they would be pulling be out of the lake. White out squalls caught me a few times. Our neighbor's sun is serving the Guard, now. I think he is posted somewhere in Maine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
You had me at "chocolate". :) !
When I got to Owensboro I had just returned from Viet Nam after a 14 month tour. It took a while to get used to the river work, but after a couple of months I began to like it. From KY I went to another boat in Memphis and worked on the "Miss" for a couple of years.
Two months before I retired I swore my boy into the CG so technically we were in at the same time. He went the aviation route, OCS, and retired a few years ago after 33 years.
If I had it to do over, I wouldn't change anything except I may have gone from E7 to E9 instead of CWO. Either way, it'd be CG for sure.

Sorry, I got a little off subject..........when does your project start?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Still waiting for the proposal. I will certainly share details.

One summer I worked the river, making and breaking tow. (ACBL company). Quit at the end.
Visited a best friend at the local CG hospital (built almost back t to the civil war).
He had lost a few fingers on his dominant hand. Very distressing. It was then that I truly realized the danger.
By our age, we have a lot of stories. No doubt from your days you have a lot.

Ask a Question