Permit needed?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I live in Liverpool NY and I was wonderign if you need to get a permit to dig a pond? I already started so it's a little late for this.

Attachments

• 20190521_200157.jpg
    20190521_200157.jpg
    401.1 KB · Views: 149

dustboy

Nattering Nabob
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
The most important thing is to call for a USA (underground service alert) survey, here you just dial 811 and tell them where the dig will be. Free service. A guy with a can of spray paint and flags will find any underground utilities and mark them. Looks like it’s a little late for that.

As far as permits, they might be required (most likely for plumbing and electrical) but I would avoid the extra cost and hassle if possible. The only way it could bite you is if a cranky neighbor complains or if your project is visible from the street and Hector the Inspector happens to drive by.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The most important thing is to call for a USA (underground service alert) survey, here you just dial 811 and tell them where the dig will be. Free service. A guy with a can of spray paint and flags will find any underground utilities and mark them. Looks like it’s a little late for that.

As far as permits, they might be required (most likely for plumbing and electrical) but I would avoid the extra cost and hassle if possible. The only way it could bite you is if a cranky neighbor complains.
Thanks. Here we have Call before you Dig. They already marked my yard from a deck I had installed.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Is your yard completely fenced? If no one can see it, it doesn't exist! The biggest worry is someone drowning so most ponds are limited to 18" depth. Ponds are not allowed in our subdivision ( Country Lakes)! We have 2- one being 5 1/2' deep, but it is above ground.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, we won't tell! Just do it if you know how!
We did everything ourselves, no plumber, electrician etc. So far so good!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I've never heard of permitting a pond, but you may have local regulations on depth or fencing requirements.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
It varies according to where you are. In my area, I was told there were no restrictions on water gardens -- only swimming pools.

Reaction score
Maybe electrical if you have to run a plug to your pond, unless you do it yourself, " I know nuthing!"
Also, I think most states allowed 24" without any issues, over that and then you may need a fence or insurances.

Ask a Question