Peroxide For Algae on Water Falls?

Reaction score
I'm getting algae build up on my waterfalls, its getting tougher to scrub off with a pad.

I'm thinking of turning my falls off for about 30 minutes to dry up the rocks (in the hot sun), then spray some hydrogen peroxide on the algae, let sit another 20-30 minutes to kill off, then turn the water back on.

What do you think of this routine?

I don't want to add directly to water like some recommend

David

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
that works, Sissy does it, with my other pond I have done it.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If you turn it off spray them as soon as you turn it off then wait 15 to 20 minutes and turn back on algae will turn white and if you have quilt batting in your filter it will pick the mess up .You don't have to wait that long as sun drying the algae out has already killed it or most of it .

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Waterbug, I LIKE THAT LAYOUT! Very nicely done. I know you spend a lot of time doing research, answering forum posts, and actual pond work. How do you ever make all that time? lol That's a great idea to put a page together to link to. I like the Dr.s video's you post they are well done as well, and based on facts. This is nice because it does give good info and yet clearly states that some things just don't have enough factual information to go on to be for sure what each case may be. I also looked at the rock making. VERY impressive! Neat ideas and nice looking pond layout. Rocks on the bottom and they will work the way a liner pond is designed to work. Again, I am very impressed and like the design. Want to spend a few weeks In La.? LOL I wish I could find someone around here that really knew what they were doing. It's bad when you know more than everyone you talk to about building a pond in this area, yet at the same time you know your a amateur at doing it yourself. At least i know I've always got room for improvement.

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat. I know a fair amount about a couple of specific kinds of ponds and pond keeping, but very little about many other kinds of ponds and pond keeping methods. So always more to learn. And many things I've "learn" have later been proven to be wrong and so you have to go back and relearn. Few things are facts.

To me the fun about ponds is the learning. Some people it's the fish, some it's the filters, some it's a beautiful landscape feature. So I enjoy spending hours trying to understand little details. Better than playing FreeCell.

I started the web site pond stuff awhile back as a way to focus on single subjects and spend more time checking and organizing info. It would be a great time saver in the long run but this forum's software is just so handy. I want to set up a good web content editing app but haven't had the time. I think what I should do is just install IPBoard on my server just as my own personal journal. I don't like blog software. I installed Joomla but ran out of time. I need to set aside a couple of weeks to really understand it and set it up for what I want.

BTW, there is liner under the rock. Not sure if that was clear.

Ask a Question