Peroxide

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I've never' never used sodium thiosulfate to neutralize I think I would use potassium permanganate instead.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I've never' never used sodium thiosulfate to neutralize I think I would use potassium permanganate instead.

That'd be a dangerous game to be playing. PP is incredibly stronger of an oxidizer than even hydrogen peroxide (H2O2). If this was done, then a gram scale (that can measure in milligrams, rather than grams) will need to be used since it would take extremely little PP to neutralize the H2O2. PP is an old school treatment that has been around for a long time and H2O2 was the most common material to neutralize the PP reaction. PP is quite sensitive, fragile stuff.

Much safer to use sodium thiosulfate, which is also useful as a very cheap dechlorinator.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5B
I'm wondering also if using the kitty litter as a media for plant pots in the pond might also help w/ the string algae. I do think you need quite a bit of it for it to help and having it near moving water may help also, like under the falls. I have the kitty litter in just two big potted plants at this time. Haven't added in any extra in a mesh bag near the falls like I have in the past. Don't need to as no string now.

I also have a big garbage can full of barley straw but I fail to ever get around to putting any back into the pond. But then why should I bother if I haven't had the string algae problem for several years? I get a little, at least I think it's string but not enough to bother with now. Maybe my fish pigs are keeping it at bay. Not much sun here either and lots of plants in my pond that eat up the nutritious nitrogen from the fish.
My water lilies are all planted in Walmart's unscented "Special Kitty". And my Franklin says that "Special Kitty" is "The Cat's A$$" LOL... ( sorry had to throw that in ;) ) J.W. it's a great planting medium. Just line your water plant pots with some weed barrier fabric and cover the top of the pot with some gravel or a few larger stones.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5B
Do not dose with hydrogen peroxide if your pond is squeaky clean or it can kill your fish. I've dosed with 27% hydrogen peroxide to clear up docs and string algae and it does a great job.
27% !? I work in the chemical industry. Drums of 35% are labeled Class 5 / Sub Class 8. Class 8 is corrosive material. I can see 27% being deadly to fish. The drug store stuff is a very diluted 3%. At the dose I posted above, 3% is safe for fish. Twenty-seven percent (which I've never seen although I suppose some company could make it in that concentration) would be considered industrial grade. The usual industrial grades are 35%, 50%, and 75%. The drugstore three% is a mild antiseptic. I wouldn't want a bath in a tub of 27% either....lol

And sorry crsublette .... I missed your post above about 3% before I posted this.

Last edited:

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
27% !? I work in the chemical industry. Drums of 35% are labeled Class 5 / Sub Class 8. Class 8 is corrosive material. I can see 27% being deadly to fish. The drug store stuff is a very diluted 3%. At the dose I posted above, 3% is safe for fish. Twenty-seven percent (which I've never seen although I suppose some company could make it in that concentration) would be considered industrial grade. The usual industrial grades are 35%, 50%, and 75%. The drugstore three% is a mild antiseptic. I wouldn't want a bath in a tub of 27% either....lol

Yeah, if done incorrectly and without good ORP monitoring, 27% H2O2 as a pond treatment would be deadly to the fish. Much easier to add too much with 27% concentration. It is excellent for spot spraying streams and waterfalls, let it set a hour, spray it down, and turn water back on. Algae cleans off very fast.

There's also a 9% hydrogen peroxide grade available to be bought that folk use in homeopathic recipes.

Quick side note... I really should write a thread on PP. I've done quite a bit of research and found excellent literature, written by folk that are quite serious about its dangers and what people should do so to protect their fish and them self. Essentially, an ORP meter is required if PP is going to be used; otherwise, folk are just shooting in the dark and hoping they won't accidentally "shoot" their fish.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
My water lilies are all planted in Walmart's unscented "Special Kitty". And my Franklin says that "Special Kitty" is "The Cat's A$$" LOL... ( sorry had to throw that in ;) ) J.W. it's a great planting medium. Just line your water plant pots with some weed barrier fabric and cover the top of the pot with some gravel or a few larger stones.

I meant that's what I do already w/the kitty litter and was just commenting that it might also help w/ the algae. You sure have to make sure you cover it w/ plenty of rock tho or the darn fish will pick out the kitty litter piece by piece and toss it everywhere :cool:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
most use it in there potted plants .I use a combo of kitty litter and crushed oyster shells and gravel because it allows the roots to grow better .I found just kitty litter was not allowing the roots to grow as good plus crushed oyster shells help the ph of the water

Attachments

• pond parts 019.JPG
    pond parts 019.JPG
    156.7 KB · Views: 211
Reaction score
I've started repotting with kitty litter. I had a limited choice here. I bought the cheap one with clay as the only ingredient. So far so good, as in no dead fish. I'm trying this in my smaller ponds first.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I've started repotting with kitty litter. I had a limited choice here. I bought the cheap one with clay as the only ingredient. So far so good, as in no dead fish. I'm trying this in my smaller ponds first.
You want the cheap stuff that is clay only, so you did good!

Ask a Question