Persistent red algae

Reaction score
Country
United States
We bought a house with this pond on it and the last month it has continued to turn red. We have tried algicide and that did get rid of it for a few days but then it come right back. We just got a pump and it was clear just this early morning and now at 12 in the afternoon on an overcast day, it’s completely covered again. I’m feel defeated and lost. What are we doing wrong? Please help.

Attachments

• E90C2073-13E7-482F-974F-07809052EEF4.jpeg
    E90C2073-13E7-482F-974F-07809052EEF4.jpeg
    194.3 KB · Views: 38

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1630429424467.gif
@Verafarm
Not sure what it going on but perhaps a lot of plants might help if it's due to a lot of excess nutrients in the water?

Reaction score
Country
United States
What do you know about the pond? A few questions that come to mind. Does this pond receive fertilizer runoff? Does the pond have a septic function? I see the float-ring, but was this pond previously used for swimming? Do you want the water to be clean enough to swim in?

I'm not certain, but the red color suggests this is a Euglena sp. Euglena is a protist that can both photosynthesize like algae and also directly consume other micro-organisms.

I know there are many chemical and bio-cultural products available, but wading through the pros and cons of each is an involved task (pun intended).

A 'natural' fix for the pond would include adding native plants and fish. This could be best started at the end of Winter before the algae levels rise. Especailly useful would be submerged plants that can displace and compete with algae.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
A bog is where i would head but for a pond that large WILL BE PRICEY.
However a simple change to a pond like that can change the environment such as water fountains or even just air a large air pumps

Ask a Question