Perspex, Polycarbonate? use in Ponds.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was about to order some polycarbonate sheet from "perspexsheet.uk" and talked to somebody on the phone. When I mentioned ponds she immediately asked if it would go in the water - I said yes - she told me not to use it.

Maybe some chemicals in the production process still coat (leach out of?) the product?

Is there any 'special' perspex/polycarbonate that is safe for ponds/fish? or was the lady at perspexsheet.uk just playing it safe.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Now I was just speaking to somebody at sheetplastics.co.uk She tells me that Polycarbonate is not (She repeated it a few times NOT) safe for use in aquariums or ponds. But Acrylic is safe.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Now I'm worried - I have orfe that occasionally jump out of the pond - always at one spot where the water is deep right up to the edge - gives them a good run up the side and over they go. So I placed a polycarbonate sheet just below the water surface to stop them jumping at that spot. Wasn't planning on using that sheet for long - just wanted to test out the idea before ordering something 'pondcolored'.

Now I have to go out and remove the polycarbonate.

Ask a Question