Petroleum Jelly for ball valve

Reaction score
I just purchased a 2" PVC Ball valve. I noticed that it is difficult to turn the handle. On doing some reading on the web the difficulty in turning is an ongoing concern for many.

One person suggested using petroleum jelly as a lubricant. Will this be harmful to my Koi?
Any other suggestions before installation?

Thanks

Reaction score
I wouldn't use it . Make sure it is well supported like this and then perhaps you could tywrap a short length of rod across the top of the handle for leverage. A 2" ball valve is built pretty strong so you should be able to do this.

Attachments

• 2 inch dump valve.jpg
    2 inch dump valve.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 802
Reaction score
One other thing, if you are turning this valve dry it will be hard, water lubricates it and makes turning way easier once installed.

Reaction score
I need it to adjust the flow on one hose coming off a dual discharge pump. Once adjusted it will rarely be used. It, more likely than not, will be less than 1/3 closed.

Thanks again

Reaction score
they are not that hard to turn once it is connected to a pipe on one or either end, but i guess if you are a 100 then it might be difficult to turn.

Reaction score
This makes me feel better. I've been wondering how to use a 2" ball valve in a filter when I can't turn the @#$% things in the store. I was hoping they worked easier when wet.

Reaction score
North-Eastcoaster with shovels for blizzards
shakaho said:
This makes me feel better. I've been wondering how to use a 2" ball valve in a filter when I can't turn the @#$% things in the store. I was hoping they worked easier when wet.

Try Home Depot. Its check value is cheap and can be turned as smooth as silk. I get a $5 ball valve which serves as a check valve and a flow-controller---the best bang for 5 bucks :wink:

DSC01529.jpg

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
the Home Depot and Lowes ball valves are probably what almost everyone uses ..up to 1" they're all easy to turn. 1&1/2" are pretty stiff ,then you get to the 2" they get much harder

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
before i instaled my 2" BV i sprayed in with silicone spray and sat turning it back and forth for an hour while watching t.v ...it seemed to help a bit.... I also fished thru the box to find the easiest one to turn, wasnt much difference in them.

Reaction score
I built my pond 12 years ago and I should have done as Clemsonguy suggests. I purchased three 2" ball valves (white with red knob) and two were hard to turn and one was easy to turn. They didn't work any easier once they got wet. My son eventually made a wooden wrench to turn the valve and that solved the problem.

Ask a Question