Ph Buffering...what Do You Use?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
just curious what everyone uses for ph buffering...i use crushed oyster shells in old nylon stockings in the most active water in my filter...works great. i have had consistant 7.4 from the start. cost me about $4.00.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
about the same as yours, but a heavy legnthy rain would drop it down to 6.9 even 6.8 once, my pond is full sun, no cover at all. so when we get heavy rains it gets all of that too. but buffers dont change ph, they just lock it where its at. and $4.00 was worth not worrrying. so i used baking soda to get it up to 7.4, locked it in with the crushed oyster shells. this spring i may try taking it up to 7.7 wich is pretty much the sweet spot for koi as im told.

Reaction score
apparently 6.8 and 8.0 are the extremes but 7.0 and 7.8 is the "preferred" alkaline
you could also try crushed coral substrate
calcium and magnesium supplements will also help with ph...look into PH buffers also

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i use a nylon in the most active water portion of my filter, actually 2 nylons in the swirl zone, im told that the oyster shell is more effective than the corral. like i said $4.00 i spent on it has worked very well, even still as its in my basement pond system now

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i have a down flow tetra pond bio filter, plumbed into an upflow, skippy style filter that discharges into pond. the tetra pond is supposed to be good for 1200 gallons...NOT. unless you only keep a few fish. it comes with bio spheres,i use them but i added an extra set of mechanical and chemical pads,the bottom "skippy" chamber has 150 4"x6" scrubby pads. cut in quarters. they come in 5 packs at the dollar store

Ask a Question