PH differences and fish health

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
I'm not sure if there is an answer to this question, but I'm hoping all you pond experts can figure this out!

I have a 3 year old established pond with goldfish varieties. For the past few days, "Spot," my favorite fish, has been swimming continuously in circles. The water is still pretty cold, so all of the other fish have still been in "hibernation," except Spot. I've examined Spot, and I notice nothing wrong with her externally. I tested my pond water with a liquid test kit, and all values are perfect. It was evening when I tested it, and my pH was 8.2, BUT my pH has always been high in the pond (for the past 3 years, and that's how old Spot is). Should I be worried about Spot?

Another thing I can't explain is that I set up a patio pond about 3 weeks ago. It is about 30 gallons with a few fish that are doing fine. I used media from the existing pond to cycle the new pond. What's interesting is that when I tested the water in the patio pond tonight, my pH was 7.2. I'm not sure why the huge difference between my readings.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
No idea about your fish. Hope he is ok. But as for your pH levels. Does your established pond have any type of limestone used that can raise your pH levels, that is not in your patio pond? The tap water in my house has a pH of 7 yet my pond is always around 8.3. What I thought was flagstone (bought from craigslist) I am now thinking was actually limestone. I'm not to worried about it because I didn't do the whole thing with this stone there are just a few of them in and around the pond, and pH has never been above 8.4 (so far)

Reaction score
If only one fish presents this sign... I don't think it has anything to do with the pond.

It looks to me like he might have a "disease" maybe... but not contagious.

Is his tail normal or is it crooked in the direction he turns in ?

Does he have any trouble floating ?
Are his eyes swollen ?

Sometimes a swim bladder dysfunction can cause this symptom.

I still think you should isolate him and treat... just in case.

I don't know how PH would affect the fish capacities, but it totally might.

Hope he gets better.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Thanks for the responses. JenH, I think you "hit the nail on the head"! The rocks in my pond came from Lake Erie's shore, so I'm sure there's some limestone in there somewhere. Thanks for helping solve the mystery. As for Spot, she seems to be doing OK still. Thank goodness!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
sure is and seems goldfish are not as fussy about there ph as koi .Mine stays at 9 since adding the crushed oyster shells

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
One thing I did read about limestone is that although it raises the pH, it also acts as a buffer. Seems to be proving true for so far, pH has been 8.3 everytime I've tested it, except for one time right after rain it was 8.4. Which goes along with what koiguy said above!

Glad your fish is improving!

Ask a Question