PH extremely high

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
I think the PH level, and maybe the 90+ degree temps?, are causing string algae. The water is clear. I've read it's not harmful, just unsightly. I have a couple goldfish left (probably won't last long) but no plants. Impossible to have either one because the raccoons climb my block wall (nightly) and dug up the plants & have eaten 15 fish. My pond/waterfall was set up before I knew what I wanted to do. It is small (150 gallons), shallow, and has sloping sides - raccoon heaven!

Any suggestions on how to lower the PH level? Or does it really matter in this situation? I've used PH Down eight days in a row at 24 hour intervals, with no change. The goldfish don't seem to be adversely affected. I will get a dedicated toilet bowl brush that someone recommended on another post to remove the algae since the pond net doesn't do a good job.

Or maybe I need to go back to just enjoying the sound and looking at it.

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
The high pH is usually a result of the source you use. There isn’t much you can do about it and fiddling with it more often than not leads to unstable pH which is worse. Too bad the raccoons aren’t keen on munching the string algae. I just use stick from around my yard to get most of it up. I used to use a scrub brush but wound up getting a lot of it on me when trying to fling it off. The sticks work ok cleaning it out on a small pond, a larger one would be tedious I suppose.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
The high pH is usually a result of the source you use. There isn’t much you can do about it and fiddling with it more often than not leads to unstable pH which is worse. Too bad the raccoons aren’t keen on munching the string algae. I just use stick from around my yard to get most of it up. I used to use a scrub brush but wound up getting a lot of it on me when trying to fling it off. The sticks work ok cleaning it out on a small pond, a larger one would be tedious I suppose.
As you say, the water is probably best left alone, especially since I don't like to use chemicals and bio options probably won't work. I'm going to test the pH of my water source - thank you for that thought. Interesting that all the other tests in my kit are normal.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
What is your pH level, and what does it usually run? Have you checked your source water (what comes from the tap)?
I just started testing a few weeks ago for personal interest. Pond water has always been 9.0+. Just tested the water feeding in from the city water source - it is 6.5 - 7.0 using the API Pond Master Test Kit.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
Do you have any type of shade for the pond? Anything, an umbrella, a sheet tied across poles?
[/QUOTE
No. This is the first time I've had string algae in the five years I've run the pond. As I do with my fruit trees and vegetable garden, I try to let nature have its way. I did try to fight this, but I'm going to back off for now and hope it rights itself when it gets cooler. Thank you for your thoughts.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Best not to use chemicals to alter the pH. As you found, it only temporarily treats the symptom and seriously stresses your fish. You have the 'perfect storm' for high pH: A small, newly established system with excessive nutrients from 18 goldfish and blasting sunlight making the water hot. A 150-gallon pond is probably large enough for two goldfish at best. The advice provided above by our members is good.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
Thank you to everyone for your suggestions and thoughts. Going to leave it to mother nature. One point of clarification, I've had only four goldfish at any one time, I was replenishing them as they became raccoon treats. I have a couple of heavy rock caves so I might be able to keep a couple away from the raccoon paws. In the past herons came in and got them also, haven't had that this year - maybe they are staying at the local lakes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I would suggest enlarging the pond, deeper with straight sides or shelves set about 2 ft deep to deter the raccoons.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
I would suggest enlarging the pond, deeper with straight sides or shelves set about 2 ft deep to deter the raccoons.
I had a pond maintenance expert come out and do a 20 minutes repair for $375. He mentioned the same thing. He said it would take three to four days to make that happen with my pond. Since I'm not a DIY person, I can only imagine what it would cost. How much do I love fish? Or just revert to the soothing sound and visual?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
In that case, I’d say find a home for any remaining fish, and then just enjoy water. Add a small fountain to keep water too turbulent for bugs, and if you never want fish, chlorine tablets. If fish are a maybe, you’ll need a different way to keep algae at bay.

Reaction score
Get some sodium percarbonate (note percarbonate) on ebay and throw a couple of cups in. It works wonders on rocks but I can't say what it will do in a full pond. If a couple of cups don't work after a few days increase the dosage.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
FOUR DAYS? I'd find a different contractor. This one must work at turtle speed. Plus they should quote you a total price for a project - not an hourly rate.

Remember that pH is relative - a stable pH is more important than "high" or "low". Fish can adapt to a wide range of "normal".

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
I've had gold fish for the last six months. Not all survive because of the raccoons. The ones that make it don't seem to be affected by the high PH - they get big until there's no place to hide. A few days ago I put an ABS 3" pipe in the bottom of the pond, weighted down with large/heavy rocks. I did see the big goldfish go in - hopefully he's quick enough to get there when the raccoons return.

Ask a Question