PH High

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm not sure why my PH is reading high. I am on a well which tests neutral from the hose.
My pond is ~7,500 gallons. I had it filled from a pool company/pumper truck last fall. This spring, I drained a good bit and filled it with my well water ~5k gallons worth. I test my PH from the pond and it's 8+. I have no idea why.
It is currently under renovation. We haven't done any rock work yet, just a new liner.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
8 it is normal not high .Mine stays at 8 all the time and as long as it is stable it is fine

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
Water can test quite different from tap to a standing state after being exposed to air. My water will come out if faucet right around 8 then stabilize to mid 7s after a few hours.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Water can test quite different from tap to a standing state after being exposed to air. My water will come out if faucet right around 8 then stabilize to mid 7s after a few hours.
Funny. Mine is the opposite. Comes out as 7 then stabilizes at 8+. Same water for over a month. I tested again tonight and it's still 8+

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
When you aerate water with splashing or aeration, the PH will typically rise because CO2 is equalized with ambient air.
Less CO2 = higher PH, generally.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
When you aerate water with splashing or aeration, the PH will typically rise because CO2 is equalized with ambient air.
Less CO2 = higher PH, generally.

Interesting!

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
What MitchM states is true, but Co2 levels will stabilize regardless of aeration. While it is not unusual for pH to drop a full point or more, it is highly unusual for pH to rise a full point or more. Do you have any limestone rock exposed to the water? That might account for part of the rise.

Reaction score
Country
United States
What MitchM states is true, but Co2 levels will stabilize regardless of aeration. While it is not unusual for pH to drop a full point or more, it is highly unusual for pH to rise a full point or more. Do you have any limestone rock exposed to the water? That might account for part of the rise.

No limestone. I posted some pics in this thread.
https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/new-guy-pond-redo.19028/
Everything is covered by liner and built in drains around the pond. Shouldn't have anything getting in there.

Ask a Question