pH high

Reaction score
Country
United States
So honestly, most years I just took a water sample to the local pond store once a year (they actually have and manage large koi ponds so they aren't just summer job kids) to get tested and it's always been good. This year I got paper strips (I know, they aren't super reliable) and tested and values were all in desirable range. I ran out of paper test and am also helping a neighbor establish her pond so I got API pond master kit. It has been showing my PH as 8.5-9 since I got it a few days ago. I did a partial water change with no change. All other values in desirable range. Fish are fine, eating, swimming like normal. My pond is raised so no chance of any kind of runoff contamination. Is this just maybe "normal" for my particular situation and as long as my other parameters are fine and the fish are good then I just need to not stress about it? I don't want them to die from abnormal pH but I also don't want to treat them to death!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Fish are affected by sudden and dramatic pH changes - stable pH, even on the higher side, is fine. Chasing pH will only make you crazy. The best approach to pond care, in my opinion, is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Reaction score
Country
United States
Lisa that's what I was hoping and kind of felt after reading some other posts. I just worry because all the test kits and online info says pH greater than 8.5 can be fatal, but they're acting fine so...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
pH is definitely something to consider if you're having issues, but like you said - the fish are fine so I'd just leave it be.

Ask a Question