PH level for temparary tank different than the pond.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I think adding Prime is simpler.
Otherwise, you'll need to match the source water parameters with existing pond water parameters. If the source water is too different, you will cause the fish more stress. You'll also need to add Prime to deal with the chlorine in the source water anyways.
Mitch, I’m not trying to dispute anything, ‘cause I consider myself still learning. Do you think it depends on the size and volume of the pond, as in for a smaller, temporary holding pond vs a larger, established pond? (I’ve already lost the context of this thread....soooo....., LOL!)

I used to do frequent water changes, but once my pond became established, I never had ammonia issues (I think I’m under stocked and well planted). Pond is around 3000 gallons. I still do an occasional water change when I flush the Skippy, but not on a regular basis. And with my larger volume, matching source parameters hasn’t been an issue, though I always use a dechlorinator! Now, when I was keeping one of my gold fish indoors for a time, even with good filtration — keeping up with the waste was a big issue (20 gal. tank)! I ended up “Priming” the tank a lot, out of laziness more than anything.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
If you're going to use water changes for supplemental filtration, then you should have a method to determine when a water change is needed, and be able to explain to yourself what you accomplished.
Do you want to reduce waste buildup by 10%, 50%, 90%? Then you should be able to have something you can measure before and after to establish that that's what you accomplished.
As long as you have an appropriately stocked pond or aquarium, and an established biological filter, I don't think you're accomplishing anything and possibly causing the fish unnecessary stress.
I think it's easier and causes the fish less stress to ensure that you have good water quality, movement and aeration.
Let the biological/mechanical filter deal with the waste, and plants deal with the resulting nitrates.
I know some people like doing water changes, I just think fish and other inhabitants are safer and healthier if we focus on water quality by testing the water and adding whatever components are missing so the biological filter can do it's work.

*edit - I should mention that how you measure when you do a water change doesn't have to be a chemical test, it could be a visual test. With an aquarium, maybe you do a water change to remove detritus until you can't see any more being removed.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 9b: 25°F to 20°F
Country
United States
Thank you MitchM.
I emptied the pond, refilled it, and put in the pond primer. I purchased enough Rock-on-- roll to go over the edge. I am thinking of using that with a layer of blocks on top and then fill the outside with a steep dirt, covered in gravel that I can plant with flowers. We shall see how that part goes. Still not 100% about the final finish. I will let the pond sit with a single pump in it for a day or two before I add one or two of the smallest fish and more prime. LOL. Thank you again.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Thank you MitchM.
I emptied the pond, refilled it, and put in the pond primer. I purchased enough Rock-on-- roll to go over the edge. I am thinking of using that with a layer of blocks on top and then fill the outside with a steep dirt, covered in gravel that I can plant with flowers. We shall see how that part goes. Still not 100% about the final finish. I will let the pond sit with a single pump in it for a day or two before I add one or two of the smallest fish and more prime. LOL. Thank you again.

If you're going to add soil to your pond, make sure it is organic.
Sometimes commercial mixtures can contain herbicides and added fertilizers.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It has been a very good two week vacation. All my fish are enjoying their new home. The first two fish were introduced on Tuesday. Then two fish every day since. The last two largest fish were introduced this morning. And do they ever seem happy. I have been watching them all day.
Today's water test on the new big pond is, PH=7.6, KH=89.5, GH=161, Ammonia =0.5 NO2=0, NO3=0. I added 12 cap-fulls of pond prime two days ago and then again this morning. I put the third filter and pump on the pond this morning, As soon as the Ammonia settles I want to go back to just two filters and pumps. I am still looking for some good ceramic jars that I can spill the water out of. The two I had got broken in the move.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Looks great! Thanks for the update.
You should have some hiding spaces for the fish plus you're going to need some plants to consume the nitrates and phosphates as they become available. Otherwise you'll be dealing with nuisance algae in the future.
You could put in some water lettuce or water hyacinth for starters. I'm not sure what plants are available in your area.
Your KH should be above 100 ppm. You can fix that by adding in some baking soda - for your size pond, you can add the 7 tablespoons at once.
Koi will eat the roots of the floating plants so you should float the plants in a ring with a net, for example, to protect the roots.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
OK, this is crazy. This morning, I look in my pond, and what do I see, but the two big male Butterfly Koi, chasing the big fat one(obviously a female) butterfly koi all over the pond. I assume she is spawning. (I mean she has only been in the new pond 3 days and they have only been in the pond 1 day, they lived in separate ponds before this). I am worried that the two big guys are kind of beating her up, they are pushing her around a lot, but then she gets away from them for a few minutes. I hope she is going to be alright. It has been a few hours and the water has gotten hazy. Other than keep my eye on them, should I do anything else?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice pond! Really pretty. I don't have koi, so can't help you with spawning questions.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It is mid afternoon, and the fish have settled. The haze in the pond has cleared some. The smell has cleared some. I reached in to recover a plant they had knocked over and it was covered in eggs. My large female has lost her roundness, and is less harassed by the others. Mother Nature at Work. :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
As expected the Ammonia spiked to 4.0 this morning and the NO2 spiked to 1.0, the NO3 spiked at 5.0ppm. KH=107. So I took out five inches of water, added fresh from the hose and added the maximum amount of pond prime=24 caps fulls for 1200gallons. Thirty minutes later the ammonia = 2.0 and the NO2=0.25. the KH dropped to 89. So I added 2 tablespoons of baking soda. I hope I am doing this right. All three pumps are running. I will be at work the rest of the day, so tomorrow I will test it all again.

Oh and there is a fine layer of eggs on everything. That was something I hadn't counted on. I admit that it is many less than yesterday. But I sure hope my fish continue to have an egg smorgasbord, because I don't need that many hatching. No frogs at my house, sorry to say. Sure won't need to feed the misquito fish any time soon. Mother Nature, **sigh**.

Reaction score
Country
United States
OK, this is crazy. This morning, I look in my pond, and what do I see, but the two big male Butterfly Koi, chasing the big fat one(obviously a female) butterfly koi all over the pond. I assume she is spawning. (I mean she has only been in the new pond 3 days and they have only been in the pond 1 day, they lived in separate ponds before this). I am worried that the two big guys are kind of beating her up, they are pushing her around a lot, but then she gets away from them for a few minutes. I hope she is going to be alright. It has been a few hours and the water has gotten hazy. Other than keep my eye on them, should I do anything else?

Those behavior you explained are signs of spawning as you suspected. I remember when I first brought home my koi's from another pond and as soon as one week - they begin displaying exactly what you explained in your story. Eggs were everywhere and water wasn't clear anymore.

Nice pond by the way!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
As expected the Ammonia spiked to 4.0 this morning and the NO2 spiked to 1.0, the NO3 spiked at 5.0ppm. KH=107. So I took out five inches of water, added fresh from the hose and added the maximum amount of pond prime=24 caps fulls for 1200gallons. Thirty minutes later the ammonia = 2.0 and the NO2=0.25. the KH dropped to 89. So I added 2 tablespoons of baking soda. I hope I am doing this right. All three pumps are running. I will be at work the rest of the day, so tomorrow I will test it all again.

Oh and there is a fine layer of eggs on everything. That was something I hadn't counted on. I admit that it is many less than yesterday. But I sure hope my fish continue to have an egg smorgasbord, because I don't need that many hatching. No frogs at my house, sorry to say. Sure won't need to feed the misquito fish any time soon. Mother Nature, **sigh**.

You should keep your KH above 100, which would require 7 tablespoons for your pond size and current KH level, as I mentioned before.;)

Ask a Question