pH too high

Reaction score
OK
  1. Is your tap water the same?
  2. Does the pH lower when you do water changes, then go higher the next day?
  3. Do you have well water?
  4. Is there any new concrete near the pond?
  5. What type of stone do you have in the pond, if any?
  6. Do you have any seashells orceramic decor in or near the pond?
  7. What is your neighbors pH or what does your water company say about the water parameters? Just call and ask or log on to your town or counties website to find out.

Reaction score
Ok, let's work to figure things out. If you're ammonia is zero, at least you know that the Ph isn't increasing ammonia toxicity, and that's a positive. You just need to be sure your ammonia is in fact 0.

Here's some basic questions, I'm sure others will have more queries for you:

1) prior to doing your water changes of 20% every other day recently, how often had you done water changes before that?

2) do you have lots of plant coverage in your pond?

3) If you water has a 9.0 Ph, it is very high. Even though it is that high, it's better if it's stable and high than fluctuating all over the place. Which do you think you have? Believe it or not, parameters as high as 8.5 or 9 can still considered normal and not harm fish as long as they don't fluctuate wildly.

4) What's your fish load?

5) What is your filtration on this pond?

6) Are you testing with liquid vials or those paper dip sticks?

7) What is your water temps? Usually very warm water temps can cause Ph to spike.

8) How are your fish behaving? How do they look?

9) Do you oxygenate your water? (Aerated BD's, air stones, bakki shower, wahtever)

10) is this normal Ph for your region, perhaps? Have you ever just tested tap water by itself?

jethro13

jethro13
Reaction score
Squidhead said:
OK
  1. Is your tap water the same?
  2. Does the pH lower when you do water changes, then go higher the next day?
  3. Do you have well water?
  4. Is there any new concrete near the pond?
  5. What type of stone do you have in the pond, if any?
  6. Do you have any seashells orceramic decor in or near the pond?
  7. What is your neighbors pH or what does your water company say about the water parameters? Just call and ask or log on to your town or counties website to find out.

I have field stones at the beginning of my stream that I mortared in place I think this is where the problem lies. I have city water (treated lake Michigan water) No sea shells. just field stones found locally in the stream bed and around the edge of the pond. Fish seem to be acting fine and are growing fast.

jethro13

jethro13
Reaction score
koikeepr said:
Ok, let's work to figure things out. If you're ammonia is zero, at least you know that the Ph isn't increasing ammonia toxicity, and that's a positive. You just need to be sure your ammonia is in fact 0.

Here's some basic questions, I'm sure others will have more queries for you:

1) prior to doing your water changes of 20% every other day recently, how often had you done water changes before that?

2) do you have lots of plant coverage in your pond?

3) If you water has a 9.0 Ph, it is very high. Even though it is that high, it's better if it's stable and high than fluctuating all over the place. Which do you think you have? Believe it or not, parameters as high as 8.5 or 9 can still considered normal and not harm fish as long as they don't fluctuate wildly.

4) What's your fish load?

5) What is your filtration on this pond?

6) Are you testing with liquid vials or those paper dip sticks?

7) What is your water temps? Usually very warm water temps can cause Ph to spike.

8) How are your fish behaving? How do they look?

9) Do you oxygenate your water? (Aerated BD's, air stones, bakki shower, wahtever)

10) is this normal Ph for your region, perhaps? Have you ever just tested tap water by itself?

o.k Koikeeper starting with your first question
1. I have always done 20% water changes every other day
2. I have 5 water lilies in the ponds and three established bog areas
3.The pH leve has stayed consistent everytime I have tested
4. 20 4 and 5 inch goldfish in two ponds
5.skimmer with basket and brushes for heavys and filter media and lava rock contained in the bio fall box
6. I test with liquid vials
7. water temp is 78
8. fish act fine, look good and are feeding good
9.I don't run an air pump during the summer I feel the two water falls in each of the ponds along with the constant movement on the water seem to produce plenty of oxygen
10. I just tested my tap water and it is almost as high (8.00)

Reaction score
Actually,...you chem experts chime in here if need be as my back ground is with human beings,...the difference between a pH of 8.0 and 9.0 is huge when it comes to living things. Is the mortar new? That could be your culprit,.or even the stones. I live in an area with a lot of limestone,..I washed all my stones et pond with muriatic acid before adding fish/plants and even added a dilute amount with water changes at first,..eventually you will get a good buffer and the pH will stablize,...I decided I was happy at 8,.however my pond friends in the south assure me they stay around 7.2 and have better luck at spawning. Just be sure you don't do anything to rapidly change the pH,..bad for the fish.

Reaction score
If it's stable, it's really not that bad. It seems that it's part of his natural water schematic. You'd be suprised how resilient and adaptable koi and goldfish are (particularly goldfish).

As long as the figure is stable, and his fish aren't concerned about it, he's fine. Ph spikes are terrible for sure. That will kill a fish.

What he needs to understand is that Ph affect ammonia and makes it highly toxic. So, weekly water changes of 20% are a must. If Ph is high and ammonia is present--it is a deadly combo for sure.

Reaction score
I have something to add to this and I'm sure I will get killed for it. I'll wait til the kids go to sleep though so I can have the time.....Please stand by LOL

jethro13

jethro13
Reaction score
JustMe said:
Actually,...you chem experts chime in here if need be as my back ground is with human beings,...the difference between a pH of 8.0 and 9.0 is huge when it comes to living things. Is the mortar new? That could be your culprit,.or even the stones. I live in an area with a lot of limestone,..I washed all my stones et pond with muriatic acid before adding fish/plants and even added a dilute amount with water changes at first,..eventually you will get a good buffer and the pH will stablize,...I decided I was happy at 8,.however my pond friends in the south assure me they stay around 7.2 and have better luck at spawning. Just be sure you don't do anything to rapidly change the pH,..bad for the fish.

Although I get my water from lake michigan and then processed through Crown :bowdown:points treatment Plant there are huge deposits of limestone throughout the area with one of the largest quarries in the world about 12 miles west of my house, south of Chicago. I could start adding about a cup of muratic acid with each water change, but for now after this discussion I think I'll just keep an eye on everything and see how things come along

Ask a Question