Phos level ok, virtually zero, why Algae?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thanks for the advice, I will,keep removing, it is hard though as it just keeps,coming back! Have removed all,the top,floating stuff so,now a case,ofmremovimgmoff pots and rocked and Lilly stems.,I could,do,it all,day!

Good to,hear my pond is not in the wrong position imwasmgetting really stressed about that! Having such clear water because of uv filter enables me to,see everything so can see the Algae!

A word about you problem and UVs. UVs kill off the planktonic (suspended) algae but do nothing to remove the nutrients that support this algae. In your case, the nutrients that the planktonic algae would normally have assimilated have instead remained in the water column to provide even more nutrition to the filamentous algae. With or without a UV, there comes a point where attacking and eliminating the source of these nutrients is unavoidable.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Rach have you tried Blanket answer by cloverleaf I got green water for the first time this year thanx to being unable to take the covers off even in full sun because it was too cold for the koi at that tiime.
Anyway I was recomended it by our local fish shop ownwer and friend Dean.
I did as was instructed on the container and saw my green water disapear within 4 days , its safe all it is are minerals and enzymes and all you do is check your filters after the water has cleared and drain any water out of the bottom of your filter,
The end result we can see clear to the bottom of our pond [your UV-C has to be off for the 4 days then you can switch it back on again.

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I think @Meyer Jordan makes a point that many people miss - if you kill the algae and allow the dead algae to stay in the pond, you are adding to the problem. If you have a lot of string algae, you should remove as much as possible by hand NO MATTER what else you do. Many people think they can avoid manual removal by using a chemical treatment - you only exacerbate the problem by doing so.

Also, the algae is frequently SOLVING your problem - so while it is a symptom of something you should address, treat the problem and the algae will go away on it's own.

Lisa a chemical treatment is totally unnecessary blanket answer is purely natural as I've stated in my post to Rach .
Rach coming from the UK can buy it because of it being a UK company and is a unique blend of minerals and emzymes no chemicals whatso ever

Dave

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I'm a little puzzled by this - my pond is in shade under trees except for some dappled sun for at most a couple of hrs, but is perfectly healthy...

Easily explained. The goal is 6 hours total sunlight each day. X hours of dappled sun is equivalent to approximately 1/2 X hours of sunlight.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I would just keep removing it for now.
How much do you feed your fish, Rach?
I feed them every day, I have a floating feeding ring and if they don't eat it in 10 mins I remove. This is rare though. I have 12'fish, 6!small, 6 call,large, well 7 inches long.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
A word about you problem and UVs. UVs kill off the planktonic (suspended) algae but do nothing to remove the nutrients that support this algae. In your case, the nutrients that the planktonic algae would normally have assimilated have instead remained in the water column to provide even more nutrition to the filamentous algae. With or without a UV, there comes a point where attacking and eliminating the source of these nutrients is unavoidable.
I am sorry but I don't understand! Your last sentence, where you say comes to,a point where attacking and eliminating the source of these nutrients is unavoidable.
What do,you mean? What do I need to eliminate or attack?
Thanks
Rach

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Rach have you tried Blanket answer by cloverleaf I got green water for the first time this year thanx to being unable to take the covers off even in full sun because it was too cold for the koi at that tiime.
Anyway I was recomended it by our local fish shop ownwer and friend Dean.
I did as was instructed on the container and saw my green water disapear within 4 days , its safe all it is are minerals and enzymes and all you do is check your filters after the water has cleared and drain any water out of the bottom of your filter,
The end result we can see clear to the bottom of our pond [your UV-C has to be off for the 4 days then you can switch it back on again.

Dave
Thanks Dave no not tried that one. Would it work on this algae I have? My wTer is crystal clear, not had green water?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I am sorry but I don't understand! Your last sentence, where you say comes to,a point where attacking and eliminating the source of these nutrients is unavoidable.
What do,you mean? What do I need to eliminate or attack?
Thanks
Rach

You need to determine the source(s) of the excess nutrients (Nitrate and/or Phosphorus) and take whatever corrective action is required to reduce these levels. Otherwise, you will be fighting a continuous battle with some form of algae.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
You need to determine the source(s) of the excess nutrients (Nitrate and/or Phosphorus) and take whatever corrective action is required to reduce these levels. Otherwise, you will be fighting a continuous battle with some form of algae.
Ok, I will do phos test again and see if local shop will test for .nitrate. I will have to re read threads to see how then I know what the source is.

Thanks .rach

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Ok, I will do phos test again and see if local shop will test for .nitrate. I will have to re read threads to see how then I know what the source is.

Thanks .rach

The primary sources are fish respiration and any nitrogenous organic matter such as, but not limited to, fish food and fish feces. Leaf litter is also one source of the main sources of Phosphorous. Any accumulation and/or decay of organic matter will add to the problem.
I would invest in a test kit.

Reaction score
I like Pond Balance from InterPet, it's non toxic to everything except algae. You may have phosphate in your source water, it's just locked up in the algae so it won't read when you test your pond water.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I had water tested again today. It is spot on,,they asked me what I am doing! Ha ha explained about blanket weed! Have bought some Stop Blanket .weed and a barley straw bale. Will see what happens.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I like Pond Balance from InterPet, it's non toxic to everything except algae. You may have phosphate in your source water, it's just locked up in the algae so it won't read when you test your pond water.

Bingo. The algae is pulling the free phosphates out faster than can be tested for. It is possible that any top off water you add may have phosphates. You can test that water before you put it in to see if it is abnormally high. If not, then they are coming in from another source.

Ask a Question