Phosphate Removal

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
The only source of water for my pond is municipal water, and I confirmed from the water works that they do add phosphates to the water. I have a test kit on the way to get exact figures, but I can see that the phosphate level in my pond is high enough to cause some foaming and string algae growth. There are only a few goldfish in the pond, and I'm careful to keep dead leaves, pollutants, etc., out of it, so the municipal water is the only possible significant source of phosphates. Pond water chemistry, Ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, pH, are all consistently in safe levels. I'm looking at my options to lower the phosphate level.

I have been searching this forum and others for information about safe and effective phosphate binders for lowering orthophosphate levels. The one that shows up most often is "PhosOut." Most of the information on this site about PhosOut is at least a couple of years old. A Google search for PhosOut returned several different brand names, Discount Pool Supply, Hasa, Piscimar, to name a few.

Any suggestions on the preferred product for phosphate removal from a pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'm guessing your most popular answer will be to use pond plants that will out-compete the algae for the nutrients once they've come established.

Ask a Question