Phosphates

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
First let me wish you all a great holiday and a Happy and Healthy New Year!
My new pond has a phosphate reading of 1.0 (all other water chem tests are great)
so I tested the water from the tap that was used to originally fill the pond and it is also 1.0
Will this get better in time or do I have to treat the pond for the phosphates immediately? And if so can anyone tell me how? My fish seem fine (lively and eating, ect..)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Are you saying your tap water is 1.0 mg/L? Florida might have higher phosphate levels than some places, but if that reading is correct you need to talk to the your water utility. Maybe you should double-check with a different testing kit.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
First let me wish you all a great holiday and a Happy and Healthy New Year!
My new pond has a phosphate reading of 1.0 (all other water chem tests are great)
so I tested the water from the tap that was used to originally fill the pond and it is also 1.0
Will this get better in time or do I have to treat the pond for the phosphates immediately? And if so can anyone tell me how? My fish seem fine (lively and eating, ect..)
the main problem with phosphates is the effect toward increaing your algae herd, so...

Here's an article to help you better understand. From reading it, I think if you can top off with rainwater you'll be just fine as you'll no longer add the phosphate extras, from your tap when you fill up. You don't do water changes, do you? I'd not in your case especially because of the phosphates but it shouldn't be necessary anyhow. Adding more plants will also help.

Undersanding Phosphates and Ponds

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Are you saying your tap water is 1.0 mg/L? Florida might have higher phosphate levels than some places, but if that reading is correct you need to talk to the your water utility. Maybe you should double-check with a different testing kit.
1.0 ppm

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
the main problem with phosphates is the effect toward increaing your algae herd, so...

Here's an article to help you better understand. From reading it, I think if you can top off with rainwater you'll be just fine as you'll no longer add the phosphate extras, from your tap when you fill up. You don't do water changes, do you? I'd not in your case especially because of the phosphates but it shouldn't be necessary anyhow. Adding more plants will also help.

Undersanding Phosphates and Ponds

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Thank you for this article on phosphates Brokensword. It was very helpful! Unfortunately I have auto fill so tap water is used to top off. It has only rained once in a month and we are not expected to get any to speak of (dry season) so I can’t count on that helping.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
best thing is to collect rain water if you can . I use rain barrels all over my property . I collect it to wash vehicles and also to add compost tea to them to water plants .I have a tank in the ground also that 2 of my gutters go to and just drop the pump attached to a hose and water every thing . I use clam shells to help soften the water and add calcium to it . Can you collect rain water for your pond . I know we have not had much rain lately and my barrels are getting low . But rain is supposed to come by end of the week .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I am just beginning to see signs of algae on the rocks...The pond is only three weeks old...I never thought I would be dealing with a high level of phosphate in my water...It's always something. I will add more plants...Do you know if there is something that is fish safe that I can add to the water to bring the level down?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I am just beginning to see signs of algae on the rocks...The pond is only three weeks old...I never thought I would be dealing with a high level of phosphate in my water...It's always something. I will add more plants...Do you know if there is something that is fish safe that I can add to the water to bring the level down?
that kind of algae is beneficial, so don't worry. And they ARE plants, so again, helpful as long as it doesn't get real thick (just an eyesore then, still helpful though). I don't have anything as I don't have this issue (high phosphates); we'll channel @WaterGardener as they seem to be up on the various chems to use that are fish safe. Add some floaters if you don't have any (water hyacinth, water lettuce, parrot's feather, pennywort, sensitivie plant, mosaic plant, frogbit, water poppy, etc.

Ask a Question