JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Wouldn't it make sense for the photo of the month contest to only allow pics from members' personal ponds? Maybe its just me but finding a picture on the internet and posting it cheapens the contest. Just my own opinion....

Most of us are fans of water in general, whether it's our own or a natural water feature, but if you know of someone posting a photo that isn't their own photograph maybe you should message @Ian or @Becky

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I think the rule is that you submit the photo you took yourself. I dont think it needs to be your own pond or from around your house., do I understand right? I submitted several pics I took from my vacations.

And agreed with JB that if you find someone posting a photo that' isnt their own, you should report that!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Wouldn't it make sense for the photo of the month contest to only allow pics from members' personal ponds? Maybe its just me but finding a picture on the internet and posting it cheapens the contest. Just my own opinion....
I have brought that up before -- I do think it's supposed to be one taken by the member. As to whether it has to be THIER own pond, that might depend on the title, if the title is, for example, "Flowers Around Your Pond," then yes.

I agree that all pics should be taken by the member, and I think they should be pics from the member's pond. But maybe that's being too controlling, IDK.

Let's bring @Becky in on this discussion.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What makes you think someone submitted a photo they found on the internet?
I don't know if you can go back to past months, like a year or so ago, and look at the entries, but some have obviously been "borrowed," to be polite. Sometimes you wonder about a picture, but every once in a while one pops up and you think, "No way!" Keep an eye out in the future.... I don't comment because I thought I was the only one who noticed......or cared.

And I don't know how important it is to you guys, but I feel that entries should be limited to the topic of the month. And if you don't have a suitable entry for a particular month, then wait until there is a month that you can enter -- I go months without entering, but I accept that. For example, when "winter" is the theme....... I don't know what that (winter) is, but there are LOTS of you guys who have fantastic pics of your ponds in winter and I really do enjoy seeing them. If "winter" is the theme, I don't want to see a picture of a dog in a bikini, in the pool, sipping a Mojito (well, unless you happen to live where that IS what your winter is like, Priscilla, for example, LOL!). That's why we have topics, and I like that idea.

Anyway, just my 2 cents....

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't know if you can go back to past months, like a year or so ago, and look at the entries, but some have obviously been "borrowed," to be polite. Sometimes you wonder about a picture, but every once in a while one pops up and you think, "No way!" Keep an eye out in the future.... I don't comment because I thought I was the only one who noticed......or cared.

And I don't know how important it is to you guys, but I feel that entries should be limited to the topic of the month. And if you don't have a suitable entry for a particular month, then wait until there is a month that you can enter -- I go months without entering, but I accept that. For example, when "winter" is the theme....... I don't know what that (winter) is, but there are LOTS of you guys who have fantastic pics of your ponds in winter and I really do enjoy seeing them. If "winter" is the theme, I don't want to see a picture of a dog in a bikini, in the pool, sipping a Mojito (well, unless you happen to live where that IS what your winter is like, Priscilla, for example, LOL!). That's why we have topics, and I like that idea.

Anyway, just my 2 cents....

I don't routinely follow the photo contest, I guess I need to check it out more often.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I've never noticed a photo entered that wasn't taken by the member, not to say it doesn't happen. I'm not sure why anyone would do that. There would be no fun of winning "Photo of the Month" if it wasn't my own photo.

I think there is one exception though. I would have no problem with someone submitting a photo that their spouse or child took of their pond, since it's their own pond anyway.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
I have already queried Becky on this exact subject. Her response was that as long as the photo fit the Month's topic, it did not matter whose pond it was. I do agree that the photo should be taken by the member.

Well the photo submitted by RobAmy for the September contest clearly isnt from any pond. It looks like a painting of Niagra Falls. I wonder what Becky thinks of that..

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
By the way I submitted a September pic which I dont believe is the best one. I dont want anyone getting the idea that I started this thread because of bitterness. I love looking at all the pics of ponds to give myself ideas even if I came in dead last. I just think internet pics or pics of something off topic of garden ponds cheapens the contest. I wont ever submit again. Whats the point? How can I compete with a Bob Ross painting?

Last edited:

Ask a Question