Not open for further replies.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I enjoy the PHOTO OF THE MONTH, and look forward to it.

My favorites to both view AND enter are the months where a THEME has been assigned, and submissions follow that theme.

Maybe we could help Becky out by suggesting theme topics for the upcoming months.... Like a color or something that takes place during that month. Not that Becky NEEDS any help (doing a great job!), but it's just another of those random thoughts that popped into my head. :D

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
TM, If you haven't noticed I haven't been posting pics lately. Why you ask? Well most of the themes lately have been winter or frozen, Being down here in the REAL south, there hasn't been anything yet to take a pic of. Great idea though! I'll be back posting pics when I can actually get something to take a pic of, right now I have dead plants, lots of leaves that need raking, and hiding cold fish. I've always liked the theme idea but want to remind everyone that participates that the themes are only suggestions for the month and are not necessary in order to post your entry for the month.

Reaction score
I like the themed idea too... It would also be incredibly rare for me to post major ice or snow, as even tho we are in the north east, being surrounded by ocean keeps us much warmer than even the rest of my state.... That said, I do not see it being impossible to have a theme each month. With or without snow/ice, you both mention dead plants... yup, they are not all that pretty right now, same issue here LOL... but you can spice it up with showing that "lifeless" pond shot with SOMETHING alive (plant or creature) that is UNUSUAL to the average day or the month... A great shot of a bird NEAR the pond... Just because something is dormant doesnt mean it has to be all negative... Nature is beautiful in all of Her seasons... Make the challenge in noting that beauty. Anyone can take a PRETTY picture, and I really do love seeing them all, but for a photo of the month contest, I think we should be asked to dig a little deeper for what is hidden at first glace... the pictures that make you appreciate the wonder of whatever time of year it is...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Great idea Mmathis! I struggle with themes a lot of the time - as fishin4cars rightly points out it can be tricky to find something that is appropriate for everyone given the wide range of zones that our members are in.

Maybe something a little more abstract would be a good idea, and that way members can interpret it how they want? For example, 'Hope', 'Peace', etc. What do you think?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sounds good Becky, even here we don't get snow very often, we had a white christmas, but we were not home to see it. Now just have a few clumps of snow here and there.
But then again not all of us are good at thinking abstract, I am more of a black and white person, see the beauty in all. Give it a try and see how it works out.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Dead stalks of cat-tails and grasses with haunting reflections of bare tree limbs refecting in ponds are very pretty! You have to see the beauty in everything here were the winters are very long and the sun very low on the horizon. Up here our local top experts recommend leaving the tall sprays of dried foliage in the gardens for their beauty all winter, and they are so right, the dried grasses and sedges look great in their natural state!

Here are some examples of winter beauty, you just have to open your eyes! The third picture has the natural pink sunset reflection just as the sun was gong down. Now get out their and find something dried and pretty by the pond and see the beauty within!!!

Attachments

• IMAG4542.jpg
    IMAG4542.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 265
  • IMAG4537.jpg
    IMAG4537.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 265
  • IMAG4495.jpg
    IMAG4495.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 303
  • IMAG3959-1.jpg
    IMAG3959-1.jpg