JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I got home from my annual Autumn camping trip yesterday. Had a good time, but as always, it went too fast. The temps were warmer than they've ever been on an October camping trip. Typically 50° is what to expect, but we were seeing high 60s and 70s. There was rain predicted, but other than a light mist here and there, it stayed dry.

Fall colors were at peak, although in the swamp, the trees have already lost their leaves. Here are a few photos taken while hiking the Tamarack trail, which is a two mile loop that circles Mauthe Lake, which is where I camped. The trail goes through swamp, pine plantation, woodlands, and back through the campground. It also has a few great views of the lake, and crosses over the Milwaukee River twice.

IMG_0035 copyG.jpg

IMG_0062 copyG.jpg

IMG_0099 copyG.jpg

IMG_0367 copyG.jpg

This Blue-spotted Salamander was spotted crossing the campsite at night.
IMG_0256 copyG.jpg

On the second day, I hiked part of the Ice Age Trail. The Ice Age Trail is 1,000 miles long and winds through much of Wisconsin. I hiked about four miles before heading back to the campsite for lunch. Eventually I'll probably buy a small backpack so I can pack things like lunch and do longer hikes

IMG_0191 copyG.jpg

IMG_0133 copyG.jpg

The trail crosses a stream multiple times. I haven't been able to find a name for this stream yet, however, as it flows south, it meets up with the Milwaukee River.
IMG_0154 copyG.jpg

IMG_0199 copyG.jpg

Here's a view of Forest Lake as seen from the Ice Age Trail.
IMG_0194 copyG.jpg

The next day was a busy day. In the morning, I headed out and began hiking the Zillmer Trail system. I originally planned to hike the 3.0 mile trail, but unsure of the weather, I decided to take the 1.8 mile trail. I didn't take many photos on this hike, but the woodland views were amazing.
IMG_0280 copyG.jpg

One of the nice features of Mauthe Lake campground, other than the many nearby hiking trails, is the 6.5 mile bike trail that leads to another campground, Long Lake campground. I've rode on the path many times before, but have never gone the full distance. In general, I've never ridden more than about 10 miles at a time, and that was only twice. I rarely ride more than 4 miles at a time. Knowing that 6.5 miles there would also mean 6.5 miles back, I wasn't sure I was ready for a 13 mile ride on a hilly, gravel path. Regardless, I've wanted to do it for years, and it was a bit of a goal of mine, so I decided it was time to make the journey. The ride there wasn't bad at all.
IMG_0292 copyG.jpg

After stopping at a bridge for a photo and a drink of water, I continued into Long Lake campground. I've never been there before, and forgot a map, so I added an extra mile to my distance just trying to figure out how to get down to the lake.
IMG_0294 copyG.jpg

IMG_0300 copyG.jpg

The ride back was not so easy and I could feel my legs burning. I ended up taking a short break and reading a few signs about a Jersey Flats prairie and Ice Age National Scientific Reserve before continuing back to the campsite.

Of course, all things come to an end. Here's a photo I took on the ride back home. This is Wisconsin in a nutshell.
IMG_0376 copyG.jpg

All in all, over the three days camping, I hiked about 10 miles and biked nearly 40. It was a hell of a good workout, and having direct access to a bike path is something I wish I had here at home.

Last edited:

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Thanks for sharing that JB. It's completely different than the high desert climate I live in. Were there fish in the un-named creek?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
Love your pictures! We used to go to Mauthe Lake when we were kids. That was a really long time ago. I have hiked from Greenbush to Long Lake along the Ice Age Trail. It is really pretty.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Looks like you had a great time! Thanks for showing us your photos, they are excellent :) I think my favourite one is the leaves and your boots!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Love your pictures! We used to go to Mauthe Lake when we were kids.

I went when I was a few years old. Until 2012, I hadn't been there since. I've gone a couple times since 2012. Their trails are awesome, but the campsites are pretty bad. Very small and crammed in.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Enjoyed your photo's and makes me wish we were headed out to do the same thing. Cold around here now tho and WET!

Ask a Question