Picked Up Unhealthy Fish

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yesterday I met some friends for brunch. I enjoyed a few mimosas and had a nice buzz when leaving. Next door was a chain pet store, I made the mistake of going in. A tank had a few tiny shubunkin, None where swimming all where just floating and had clamp fins. Red flags should have jumped out at me. One of the fish caught my eye, I knocked on glass it started to swim. He had long black fins which I thought pretty. I knew at home I had a 10 gallon set up from when I quarantined a feeder fish. The feeder was moved to pond, I had been meaning to empty tank but never did. At $2.49 I decided to take a chance. I was surprise this morning fish still alive and eating. If he lives going to a great looking fish. Have you ever knowingly bought a risky fish ?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
No, but I sure hope your fish survives! How cool would that be? I can't even walk into most pet stores - it makes me so sad to see the lack of proper care the fish get.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Yes, I will buy sick fish be it pond fish or saltwater fish then quarantine them in a separate tank. Feel sorry for them when I see them not being properly cared for. Sometimes can talk the store into giving me the fish or at least at a greatly reduced price.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I got a blue koi from a local nursery this year. Spotted him and several others on a plant shopping trip and went back the next week to find all the others had died. Quarantined him for several weeks and he is now in the pond.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm guilty of buying fish that I know are having issues. If I like the fish and I feel fairly confident that I can bring them back to good health then I will buy it.

My latest purchase was a super cute bubble eye that was in a tank marked "not for sale at this time" but it was such a nice looking bubble eye and I had been wanting to get one so I took a chance. I took him home, treated for parasites and kept him in quarantine for about a month. Now he is happily living with my celestial eye and growing like a weed.

20170730_133428.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
He still alive and looking better. Is there a brand of medicated food you like ? I am guessing I have to order online.

I will have to check to see what medicated food I have at home. Things have changed recently and it's becoming more difficult to purchase antibiotic foods for fish.

If all else fails you can make your own medicated gel food.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I will have to check to see what medicated food I have at home. Things have changed recently and it's becoming more difficult to purchase antibiotic foods for fish.

If all else fails you can make your own medicated gel food.

Be careful with gel medicated food cause you don't want to boil the medicine hard when making the gel. You also don't know the proportions the fish is eating so cant control the amount well.

Ask a Question