Pickerel Rush - better in the bog or pond?

Moni_Pond

Fish Mom
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hello ponders!

I purchased two Purple Pickerel Rush plants today and am trying to decide where to plant them. I have space in my bog, but I wasn't sure if they would do better in the ponds edge. My pond is pretty heavily shaded, but there are some areas that receive part sun. The bog portion receives the most sun. Currently my bog has iris that come back every year, as well as some taro that I just planted a few days ago. I am preparing to put some cannas in soon as well as papyrus and umbrella palm.

I don't really have experience with pickerel rush, and am hoping some of you with more experience may have some suggestions.

Thank you!

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
You could put it either place, it spreads fairly quick once it gets going, can take a year or so before that happens.

I have a huge stand of it in my pond in a in pond planter I put in the pond when I built it. It is pretty easy to pull out, so although I don’t have any in my bogs I would feel Fine putting some in there and not worry about never getting it out again.

Moni_Pond

Fish Mom
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thank you! I am going to proceed with planting them in the bog! I appreciate your insight.

Ask a Question