Pickerel Rush plant from Lowes

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello! A couple of weeks ago we bought a pickerel rush plant from Lowes that was in a little cup. It is in like a mesh bag and the instructions were to just set in a couple inches of water and/or put in small pot with gravel, so we did the small pot. I assume its a bulb, but we haven't seen much growth. There is green in it, and I was wondering if this meant it was slowly growing or if anyone has any insight with using these plants. Im not sure what the stringy (mossy)stuff is right in the middle, but it is very green.(Rhizome maybe? I don't know) There also appears to be maybe a tiny stem but it hasn't grown at all in the past week, so we don't know if it is a stem, even though it is green. We are new to pond plants so any help is appreciated!
20200709_185112.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
View attachment 131450@AquaticRidge
Nope that is not Pickerel Rush. This is Pickerel Rush:
View attachment 131451

Yeah this is what was pictured and what I was expecting to grow.

Not had good luck with those plants from Lowes unless you can get them when they first come in. Usually they are dried out and dead.

That makes sense, it was a bit later into the season when we got it since we built our pond in the spring. I'm gonna assume it was a dud and pull it out tomorrow.

Thank you all!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Almost every gardener can tell you of at least one time that they said "well I'm not sure what it is, but I'm going to let it grow and see what happens - how bad can it be?" and then lived to regret it! haha! But since your plant is in a pot, I'd say it's safe to watch and see what happens!

Ask a Question