Pics and videos of my pond progress and filter (aka fire hydrant) setup

Reaction score
I think I might have overestimated the size of my pond and maybe underestimated the capabilities of my pump just a little bit LOL.

Anyway, here are some pictures.

So here's the pond after raising up the edges with some half-height solid cinder blocks... you can see what happened before I raised it up and we had some heavy rain...

IMG_0214Medium.jpg

My Deuce and a Half has proved very useful on Lowes trips for this project... especially since it was the Deuce's heavy metal tailgate instead of the rear of my Dodge Ram that the forklift driver bumped into when loading all the blocks

IMG_0215Medium.jpg

My Terramite T5C at work digging a drainage ditch which will help drain the yard as well as the overflow from the pond

IMG_0216Medium.jpg

IMG_0217Medium.jpg

Reaction score
IMG_0218Medium.jpg

Here's a picture standing in the bed of the Deuce looking down over everything

IMG_0220Medium.jpg

Today I got my filter plumbed up to try it out. I wired it up using a somewhat heavy cord from an old computer UPS. Its a nice pump.

IMG_0229Medium.jpg

Reaction score
i love the Deuce and a Half awesome truck. Good looking pond looks like u still have a lot of work ahead of ya, is that where ur keeping ur filter and pump id consider getting a 100 gal stock tank goin.

Reaction score
I'm sure I've seen that deuce go past my house before.:cool: It's nice to have the toys and tools. Looks like you got the same storm as I did. Good Luck with the rest of the build, looks good so far.

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies... yep still lots of work to go. But thats the fun part, when its all done I'll need to build another one because sitting there watching the pond isn't the fun part for me :cool:

The filter/pump setup will actually be going inside my garage. Here is a video of it running, still need to pack it with scrub pads, etc.

If this goes well I may upgrade from the trash can to a stock tank in the future.

Does it look like the pump is flowing too much water?

[ame]

Reaction score
if u dond wana restrict the pump like u were saying u could always run diff plumbing to another waterfall in the pond. instead of plumbing your run off in to ur filter return to pond it could have its own return then u could control ur filter flow by it self. Just a thought, but what do i know im just a noob

Reaction score
I'd go with a lager return pipe to your pond, maybe 3". Then you wouldn't need to bypass, but then I suppose that filter couldn't handle all that pressure.

You could run the bypass to another filter or something.

Reaction score
cauzeneffeckt said:
so anything else happened??? put up some pics dammit!

Here you go

Its been up and running for a couple weeks now. The "trash can filter" works great with the 2" return pipe and 1.5" inlet. I have it packed with a bunch of scrub pads, etc., and finally two layers of some kind of HVAC filter material that looks almost exactly like what the fish tank filter bags were made out of. Two of the three Koi that we got for the pond are still surviving happily, never found the third one so something must have grabbed it out of the pond. Overall I'm really happy with the way the project turned out.

In a couple of the pictures there is no water coming out of the filter return because I had pulled the strainer out of the water to clean it out and the pump was still re-priming.

There are some more pictures on the next page as well. The only thing I would have changed was I wish I had used a sturdier trash can, in the pictures you can see the wire and piece of pipe helping the current one hold its "shape".

IMG_0254Small.jpg

IMG_0253Small.jpg

IMG_0252Small.jpg

IMG_0251Small.jpg

Ask a Question