Pics from late summer

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Here is a couple pics of praying manti that came to the plants and wind mill by the pond. This is from a month ago.

Attachments

• DSCN0177.JPG
    DSCN0177.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 340
  • DSCN0181.JPG
    DSCN0181.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 353

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Cool bug photo's and none of those around here. Our bugs are pretty boring..........no Jurassic Park looking ones, just boring ones and they never try to kill us :rolleyes:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We had a ton this year, I watch for their egg casing when I am grooming plants, put them to the side to save them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thanks. We usually see a lot of them. Some as big as a couple of inches and others at least 6 inches. I love them. natures most efficent bug control! Plus they just look awesome!

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I love bugs, and I wish we had praying mantis here, but we do have other awesome bugs. One time I was sitting by the pond on a warm summer evening, and I heard the strange sound of "hard" wings beating, "clack-it-tee-clack" and then this huge June bug the size of a sparrow flew over the top and landed in my pond! They can fly and swim!!! It was so large and scary looking, but really very amazing at the same time! Anyone seen any June Bugs down south that big? :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I remember traveling across country one year w/hubby and we were in a state somewhere in the South and we had to stop and get gas at night. Yikes I never saw so many bugs flying around in the lights of that station in my ever loving life! It was like Alfred Hitchcocks..........The Birds movie only w/ giant bugs out to get ya! I wouldn't get out of the car :razz:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Colleen, you can order praying mantis egg cases through Costco online. One egg case is about $20. I ordered one this year, put it out in the garden around June and 6 weeks later saw the babies escaping to the plants. Pretty cool.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
WAIT...............they sell bugs at Costco? Not around here they don't. Must only sell them at the ones where these creatures are hardy. Guess they must be a really good thing to have around your garden like 71 said up above :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I don't know about in the States j.w., but here in Canada the online Costco (costco.ca) sells them. You cannot buy them in the brick and mortar store.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Amazing! I guess they wouldn't want them running around the stores if a few got out of their boxes :eek:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
lol, no you wouldn't want that. You don't actually get the live bugs, you get the egg sac which looks like a golf ball size ball of hard foam. :)

Ask a Question