Pictoral update on the mini pond that took forever to cycle

Reaction score
Bucket/planter veggie filter... FINISHED! :banana: Weather permitting this weekend, I'll be resealing my waterfall and then hooking up the outflow from the veggie filter to it. *excited* Until then?... Still stuck with the waterbell, which... is serving its purpose, but after handbuilding the tiniest waterfall in St. Louis... I'd kinda like for it to be up and running (without leaking, LOL). ;)
5877114458_2c77554d76.jpg

I'm finally well (over)stocked and happy as a clam! (btw... Has anyone ever actually SEEN the scientific data proving how happy clams really are? Me neither. :dunno:) Since cycling and FINALLY being able to add all the fish I'd had my eye on FOR MONTHS (even though I'd been told repeatedly that the bioload would be far too much for my tiny setup), it's amazingly awesome to know that the checking of the water parameters every 12 hours and the insane amounts of ammonia I was pouring in this thing x 2+ months wasn't all for naught. Not saying that I could house like... Shamu, but I apparently DID manage to build up one helluva beneficial bacterial colony! :) I'd add fish, then check the water the next day, and to even my surprise my biofilter merely hiccuped and just kept trucking. SO... I've been overstocked for right at a week now and still have zeros across the board for ammonia, trites, and trates. Actually... trates started at 10, but dropped to zero and stayed there.

It took 'em a few days to get used to their new home, but since then, these fishies are SO FUN!!! :claphands: This whole pond/fish thing has already repaid me tenfold in the joy it brings. There's a rock walkway beside the pond, and the moment they hear me step onto the rocks en route to the pond, they all come a runnin'... er... swimmin! And now... for your viewing pleasure... I'd like to invite you all to watch a lil video of my new babies:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ninja-von-incognito/5914924447/

Which brings me to a tiny problem I noticed last week... I'll be headed over to the classifieds forum soon to see if there anyone in the St. Louis area who has room for, and would like a free, handicapped, 6" koi named Fred Johnson. ;) :lol: Cause if you were paying attention while watching that video, the long/thin guy with the orange head (and only one pectoral fin) is a koi, NOT a goldfish. He/she was apparently in the goldfish tank at the aquarium store I frequent, a tank which was so overstocked with swiftly swimming fish, that it was difficult to see who was who in there. I got everyone home, and noticed the next day that he only had one pectoral fin. He/she swims so well that unless you actually LOOK, you'd never notice. Feedin' time at the Lu Ranch came around the next evening, and while watching them eat... I noticed that not only is good ol' Fred's mouth on the bottom of his face, not the end, he also has barbells/whiskers. "Uh oh." SO... I could take him back to the aquarium store, cause I know the guy there and he would definitely take him back, BUT... he's been so happy outside, I don't wanna. I DO know that he can't stay here tho; he's gonna outgrow my puddle. Fred's already down one fin... and he's SKINNY (I've been trying to fatten him up a bit)... he deserves a forever home in a big pond. :)

Oh... and why "Fred Johnson"? It was the name of the one-armed man in the movie the Fugitive. ;)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
What a neat little pond and glad it turned out so nice for you. Loved the video of all your pretty fish and poor little Fred, and I remember The Fugitive guy w/ the one arm. Hope you can find a home for him close by so you can visit him. Sure you can't get the shovel out and dig a bigger pond for him :confused:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice fish, nice pond too! Clear water happy fish, you have done great!

Reaction score
Thanks, guys... I'm very proud, but don't think I coulda gotten to this point without you all! *beaming*

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
thats as cute as a button and so tempting to build .Would be a great start for people who have small children to do all by themselves .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have one of those spotted ones and he was a show off there in your video looked like he was saying mama how cute

Credes

Raccoon Hunter By Night
Reaction score
I hate to be the buzzkill on this issue of building up a large amount of bacteria but one of the biggest reason not to overload a pond is power issues. The more you have the faster the system will collapse in case of power going out. The rule is 1 inch of fish per 10 gallons also is in the math of total collapse within 8 hours. If you dont have one already be sure to pick up a generator just in case so this does not occur. Now of course koi and goldfish are able to handle longer periods of toxins building up but still I wouldn't do that to any pet even a fish as the damage is accumalative.

Reaction score
It's OK... this buzz is almost impossible to kill. :(

I'll take the chance. Cause, generator... check!

Funny how people seldom recite overstocking suggestions to like... The Duggers. :lol:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
lmao thats true for sure lulu .People who have that many kids must have something wrong with there lives that they need children to fullfill themselves .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Lulu, really nice pond and fish. Just curious are you going to leave your pond out in the winter?

Reaction score
It's not technically deep enough to over winter (at only 18"), BUT... the edge is literally 6" from the side of the house (so I'm guessing it wouldn't get AS cold), AND it's under the deck so less elements like wind, rain, ice, snow, etc. (again, so... not as cold, I assume). My original plan was to over winter it, but I've since picked up a 75 gal aquarium off of Craigs List, I've since been waffling between leaving it/getting a heater for it, and just moving it all inside for the winter, biofilter and all - which would cut down on waiting for the BB to regrow/multiply again in the spring.

Still waffling though... I dunno. :cool:

Any ideas?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Lulu, I would suggest to at least bring the fancies in. They don't like cold weather. By the time you heat it and/or run an airstone, it might be easier to bring the whole thing in, and yes you won't have to jump start the bb again!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Even though it is close to the house, on a deck it will still get pretty darn cold. Our pots on the deck froze solid, in full sun, near the house.

So I agree with cometkeith, bring them in for the winter.

Reaction score
I live in central oklahoma and im not sure how much colder it gets in missouri but my goldfish over winter in the pond and its only 15 inches deep and have never lost a fancy goldfish yet in 4 years.

Ask a Question