addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wow that looks very nice, and right next to your swimming pool, your water sure is clear. Love the stream, great job.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Lot's of ooh's and aah's coming from me looking at all the beautiful work you have done :lol:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
great looking pond and in the first pic what is that plant looks like an eldeberry .I have black lace ones .But that is growing in the pond

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I too was wondering what the tree like plant is in the first pic that has the skinny maple like leaves on it in the pond.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Thats what I thought too, but since I have black lace eldeberry and it looks so similar .In the third pic I like that yellow mounded plant also .Shows up nice and bright

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
also wondering what that ring is in the pond with the propellar

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I think that ring thing is a feeder but don't know why they shape them like that?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
The tree is a type of Hibiscus, it comes back year after year here and dies completely back in the winter. I will have seeds if any of you want some this fall. I have a few babies but I think sending seeds would be easier and cheaper to send.
The feeding ring is a laguana feeding ring, I have one, I don't use it, does 100% no good, once you throw the food in it the big guys just flip it and all the food comes out anyway. LOL I have no clue why it's shaped like like other than keeping it stable in the water and harder to flip with those out shoot things. But a 16" koi has no problem lifting it up when swimming up to get food and like i said they will just empty it out into the pond anyway.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Thanks for the info fishin and the offer for some seeds. If you have any to share I would love some in the fall :lol:

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
If you can remind me JW around the first of Sept. I'll start watching for them. Be glad to send you some, I love mine! They put on a great leaf display that changes colors all year long and the flowers are big with loys of pop!

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
fishin4cars said:
The tree is a type of Hibiscus, it comes back year after year here and dies completely back in the winter. I will have seeds if any of you want some this fall. I have a few babies but I think sending seeds would be easier and cheaper to send.
The feeding ring is a laguana feeding ring, I have one, I don't use it, does 100% no good, once you throw the food in it the big guys just flip it and all the food comes out anyway. LOL I have no clue why it's shaped like like other than keeping it stable in the water and harder to flip with those out shoot things. But a 16" koi has no problem lifting it up when swimming up to get food and like i said they will just empty it out into the pond anyway.

Fishin is the hibiscus winter hardy for zone 6?

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Honestly, I don't know. I look at the original picture in the thread and I don't know what or where DFW is from the original poster. They are perennial hybrids, I would say my guess, 75% they would be.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Scarlet Rose Mallow Hibiscus Hibiscus coccineus grows 5 to 6’ tall The large, brilliant scarlet flower abounds June - September

In the fall the intricately cut foliage is turns a deep rich red to add interest to the pond.

Hardy zone 6 or higher

Make sure the top of the pot is out of the water.

Googled it, there you go.

Ask a Question