Pipe

Reaction score
Country
United States
Not exactly sure what your idea is is but i would think that a stone wall infront of the bog to create a pool between the bog and the pond . would be needed. YOU WANT THE BOG WATER TO STAY IN THERE A WHILE . and not just drain out at the bottom like you have now. plus having the wall will also give you a little drop down into your pond which will make for a little water fall or a babbling brook . to make your stone wall so it can hold back the water you'll need the biggest rocks you have or maybe two rows one in front of the other and some waterfall foam or mortar to fill in the spaces between the rocks if you use foam fill only half the area your trying to fill as the foam will expand it you put in to much you can trim it with your hands or even a butter knife it's just foam but be careful of your liner. oh the other thing is make sure it is lower then your sides by a 1.5 inch or 2 so the water won't overflow your sides. and only goes where you want it. The water fall foam is mainly sold in professional cans for a gun. you don't need that they also sell cans like you see at home depot with the great stuff. they are the smaller can i think 8 to 12 oz
How can the water come out with the rocks foam sealed?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How can the water come out with the rocks foam sealed?
Like i said toward the end make sure your new wall is about two inches lower than the side and back walls are so the water flows over the top of the new rock wall and the ones you have now are taller then the new one i said you might want to build

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thats around the size but it could be too much can you take a pic of the whole pond and bog together ?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Like i said toward the end make sure your new wall is about two inches lower than the side and back walls are so the water flows over the top of the new rock wall and the ones you have now are taller then the new one i said you might want to build
Agree you need a wall between the bog and pond, the water needs to stay there for a bit. Mine waterfalls back into the pond and leaks over the wall.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I would get a longer piece and run it the length of the bog instead of the width. PVC is cheap including the fittings. A mere couple of dollars for most fittings.
GBBUDD is spot-on about not using tight bends. They do make wide sweep bends or you can two lesser sized bends to accomplish a turn. I used a wye instead of a tee. You want the path of least resistance.
My pump has a 1-1/2" outlet but I increased the bog pipes to 2".
Don't forget a clean-out stack at the very end of the bog pipe. Use a female adapter on the stack and cap it with a threaded plug for easy removal. My bog is almost two weeks old and I noticed the return water starting to slow down. I unscrewed each of my (two) clean-outs and a whole bunch of dirty water shot out for a couple of seconds. I was quite surprised at the amount of pressure my pump was putting out! After that, the return water pressure resumed to it's previous flow. As a note: I didn't really think I would have needed to flush things out that quickly after startup. So, the clean-out stack is very important.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I didn't really think I would have needed to flush things out that quickly after startup. So, the clean-out stack is very important.
Do you pull your water from the floor of the pond?

I have never had to clean out, and also sort of didn't even put in clean outs. I can back drain the bog, did it once around 5ish years ago, drained a bit of beautiful clear water, turned off the drain never have done anything since.
I do pull from about 1 foot from the bottom of the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Do you pull your water from the floor of the pond?

I have never had to clean out, and also sort of didn't even put in clean outs. I can back drain the bog, did it once around 5ish years ago, drained a bit of beautiful clear water, turned off the drain never have done anything since.
I do pull from about 1 foot from the bottom of the pond.
Funny you should ask. Yes, the pump was on the bottom. After that, I raised the pump because I could see some debris on the bottom. Leaves, etc. I need to get a new net for scooping the junk out. My old net has some bad rips in it.
I got a little paranoid thinking the slots I made in the PVC manifold were too narrow. I used a sawzall to make them, however I did make lots of them.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My dear hubby chopped ours with a sawjaw, zap zap zap, no real spacing no real only 1/4 or 1/2 part of the pvc. He just took the saw and zap zap zap. It has worked fine. I do have a leaf basket before my exterior pump, hardly ever clean it.

I think not drawing from the bottom of the pond really helps. I am basically just drawing water and floating debris.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
My dear hubby chopped ours with a sawjaw, zap zap zap, no real spacing no real only 1/4 or 1/2 part of the pvc. He just took the saw and zap zap zap. It has worked fine. I do have a leaf basket before my exterior pump, hardly ever clean it.

I think not drawing from the bottom of the pond really helps. I am basically just drawing water and floating debris.
Thanks for the reassurance that the sawzall blade was thick enough. I went through about 1/3 of the 2" PVC and spaced them 1-1/2" apart. The two pipes are about 10 feet long.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks for the reassurance that the sawzall blade was thick enough. I went through about 1/3 of the 2" PVC and spaced them 1-1/2" apart. The two pipes are about 10 feet long.
lol hubby did ours around 5-8 inches apart, like I said zap zap zap. I had marked the pipe, sort of igorned............... But it works.
My lines are 2 x 27 feet long

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
lol hubby did ours around 5-8 inches apart, like I said zap zap zap. I had marked the pipe, sort of igorned............... But it works.
My lines are 2 x 27 feet long
Wow! 5-8 inches apart! And your bog has been doing great for years. I measured and marked every 1-1/2" and cut 1/3 through. I guess I'm good...

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wow! 5-8 inches apart! And your bog has been doing great for years. I measured and marked every 1-1/2" and cut 1/3 through. I guess I'm good...
Yep you are! I think I have very few issues, mainly just over growing plants, due to the fact I draw the water a foot or so off the bottom.

Ask a Question