Pipes freezing

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
I know it is summer and hate to think of frozen pipes.
I am planning to build a pond with 2 bogs above. The supply line to the bog will have a pipe over the edge with a siphon break, and all lines can be drained for winter freeze of temps as cold as -30c for some nights. The problem is the pipes in the bog to the water line will have water in for the winter. How do I stop them from cracking? The pipes in the bog might be ok with cracks in them but the pipe down to them would not.
Would a flexible section of pvc to the bottom of the bog work and then to the use regular pvc for the rest in the bog and not worry about the cracks.

Don't really want to have heat tape on them, sure I am not the only one with this issue.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3?
Country
Canada
I have just built my pond and bog this spring. My thoughts on the bog pipes is that for the most part the pipe is surrounded by water and the feeder pipe will not have a cap on it and will allow expansion during the freeze. I too have winters with below - 30 c and up to -40c with wind chill.

Ask a Question