Pl sealant stuck

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is there a secret of getting the pl sealant out of the tube? I've bought 2 different tubes and they were both hard

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Polyurethane can be thicker than the average sealant but should not be hard unless it sat on the shelf too long.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I ordered one from Amazon and got the other from home depot. They had to be old! Lol. I thought about laying them out in the sun to warm the tube but I don't think that would have worked. Thanks

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I usually put mine in the sun to make it easier to remove from the tube. If you can't easily push a wire into the stuff in the tube than it is hardened.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You do have to open the tube with a nail or screw, the tube is sealed and needs to be punctured prior to 1st use. I have been able to use tubes that had been opened by cutting the tube and getting the sealant out with plastic knife.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
As stated, and you may already know this...after cutting the tip of the tube off, you need to send a nail or stiff wire into it to puncture the seal.

Agree with mrsclem. If I have a tube that seems to have gone bad and hardened, I'll take a razor knife and cut open the tube. Sometimes there's enough in the middle that's still useable and I'll scoop it out with something like a putty knife.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
WEAR GLOVES! That stuff is miserable to get off your hands. Mineral spirits works the best.

I had some other stuff in a tube, forgot about puncturing the seal................did I push before my mind went you idiot!

Ask a Question