Placement of oxygenator plants?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Hi all,

I set up my small (300g) goldfish pond in early May with a few anacharis and hornwort cuttings that have really done well. I've been trimming what has grown enough to float on the surface and repotting it in small pots with pea gravel and distributing them throughout the bottom, but wonder if it would it be better to have everything in a single large container? Just curious what you all have found works best for plant growth, fish happiness, and aesthetics. My 4 fantails and 2 shubunkins (which range from about 1.5"-2.5") also have some concrete blocks to hide in, and my two "starter" lilies are starting to provide some shade.

(I appreciate having read so many forum entries before putting in my pond, because when it did turn dark and ugly with algae in the third week, I waited it out without being tempted to dump in a bunch of chemicals, and now it's crystal clear, so thank you all! (y))

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Personally, I wouldn't worry about potting them. I don't think many on here do that (but I could be wrong). I think potting Oxygenators is more something they do in aquariums rather than ponds. But, if potting them has worked for you so far (and it sounds like it has), go for it and don't change what works!! The only thing I would take into consideration is that any item you put in your pond is going to take up space (OK, so it's a small space...), displacing the water that your fish live in. And while that might not seem a big deal, your pond is small so you want to choose wisely. One large pot (like a plant saucer) might work better than multiple small pots.

Do you have any pictures of your horse.....er, I mean, pond?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a (10 - 15 degrees F)
Country
United States
Personally, I wouldn't worry about potting them. I don't think many on here do that (but I could be wrong). I think potting Oxygenators is more something they do in aquariums rather than ponds. But, if potting them has worked for you so far (and it sounds like it has), go for it and don't change what works!! The only thing I would take into consideration is that any item you put in your pond is going to take up space (OK, so it's a small space...), displacing the water that your fish live in. And while that might not seem a big deal, your pond is small so you want to choose wisely. One large pot (like a plant saucer) might work better than multiple small pots.

Do you have any pictures of your horse.....er, I mean, pond?

Both! Horse and pond pictures sound good to me! :D

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I just toss mine in they float around and end up where ever they feel like being Some is growing in the lily pots, some is growing free floating, some in the lotus tub, some in the stream.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Mmathis, I hadn't given much thought to how much space the pots are taking up, but I guess they are sort of taking over...there's 3-4 each of HW and AN and a couple of other types that haven't grown nearly as quickly...I will probably try to gather a majority of them into one pot to make cleanup easier (there's a lot of silt I'd like to get out) and allow for fish growth

addy1, every now and again, pieces break off and they float at the top, but they haven't yet sunk to the bottom

pics of pond are hard to get (so much glare/shadow); pics of pony much easier (and hey, she likes her pond, too :LOL:)

Attachments

• IMG_8325.JPG
    IMG_8325.JPG
    197.9 KB · Views: 341
  • mare in pond.jpg
    mare in pond.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 254

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
addy1, every now and again, pieces break off and they float at the top, but they haven't yet sunk to the bottom

Nice fish in there! Mine all sunk, very seldom floats, if you move it around the roots are anchored in silt.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Hornwort doesn't root, but simply snags on anything in the water, so no need to plant it. All other 'oxygenators', or 'bunch plants', as they are often referred to in the aquarium trade, do better when planted. The pots don't have to be big.
John

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Everything looks healthy and happy! Even the horse -- what a way to cool off :)

What kind is she? Dressage, trail, or pleasure?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
HARO, thank you for the info on the hornwort; interesting that it doesn't root but still can grow so quickly-

Mmathis, she's an arab and we dabble in dressage & ctr/endurance...(though I lose all motivation in the summer-can't take the heat-so she's enjoying the time off!)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United Kingdom
The pots don't have to be big.
Good to know, thanks. I decided to do Canadian pondweed properly this year and instead of floating put lots of it in aquatic soil and pots. Big pots. Guess it'll be happy with the soil nutrients but in hindsight smaller pots would have made life easier.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice looking horse fish_tale. Always wanted one, now I have the space, the time, not getting one. Honey wants to travel too much, it would be hard to have a horse to take care of too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I'm in a different time zone with a 400? 500? gallon pond and goldfish...my potted plants are an energetic lily :) , some random reeds from a wild pond and a hosta and a fern, all of which I read will reboot just fine next spring. The annuals are two water hyacinths and two water lettuce plants which I am told will not overwinter here, but they were cheap and I can just replace next year.

Also, pretty happy horse!

Ask a Question