Planning a new pond for my front yard. Need advice.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, I'm new here to the forum but I'm looking into the pond life ha! I'm pretty experience when it comes to fish keeping. I've kept both fresh and marine aquariums for years but we recently bought a new house and were plan ing on redoing the front landscaping a bit and the wife agreed to a pond/water feature. I'm planning on using one of the 300 or 150 gallon Rubbermaid stock tanks from Tractor Supply. It would need to be almost completely buried to fit with the landscaping. I can leave a few inches above.

- Are there any issues burying the structural foam Rubbermaid stock tanks?
- what is the go-to when it comes to filtration for a buried pond?
- Anybody running a pond solely on solar powered devices?
- I'm planning on stocking with small native species and possibly basic goldfish for some color.

Thanks for any help!!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum!

Go for as big as you can. I have a 300 gallon stock tank and a 1000 gallon stock tank. They do fine, but they are part of the big pond water flow and filtration. I also have a 300 gallon hot tub pond it has only fan tails in it.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome. One word of caution: look Into any city ordinances about having a pond in the front yard, if it has to be fenced, is there a depth limit, etc. These are for safety. Agree with @addy1 to go as big as possible, and try not to overstock — it’s so easy to do, and those fish will grow and have babies. IDK about burying a stock tank, but I was thinking of doing something similar. So far the only thing that comes to mind is to be sure, if there is an external drain, that it is fully and tightly sealed.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hello, I'm new here to the forum but I'm looking into the pond life ha! I'm pretty experience when it comes to fish keeping. I've kept both fresh and marine aquariums for years but we recently bought a new house and were plan ing on redoing the front landscaping a bit and the wife agreed to a pond/water feature. I'm planning on using one of the 300 or 150 gallon Rubbermaid stock tanks from Tractor Supply. It would need to be almost completely buried to fit with the landscaping. I can leave a few inches above.

- Are there any issues burying the structural foam Rubbermaid stock tanks?
- what is the go-to when it comes to filtration for a buried pond?
- Anybody running a pond solely on solar powered devices?
- I'm planning on stocking with small native species and possibly basic goldfish for some color.

Thanks for any help!!
for get the stock rubber maid stuff . they end up as more work then they are worth . if it has to be flush if it is in the front yard use a liner dig a hole and make it appealing to the eye.

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Welcome! I think a flexible liner with some nice rocks would look quite a bit nicer than hard black plastic sticking out of the ground. As far as using solar devices go, you need quite a bit of panel to support the size of pump you would need, so unless you want to set up a very complicated solar system that would be be done professionally it is kind of out of reach.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1650989161445.gif
@StealthPrix

Reaction score
Country
United States
The wife and I talked about this further and we are going to hold off until next spring when I rebuild our deck in the back yard. I will implement a pond location while designing the deck. I also need to design a nice propane firepit area which ideally would be near the pond so the seating could be shared. I too was worried about safety with a front yard pond and running power to the front for the equipment hence my question about solar. The back yard will be easier in all aspects. Where is the best online retailer for pond equipment? I would like to stay somewhat budget minded, but with that being said I'm not planning on skimping on anything. I know all too well based on my aquarium knowledge

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
I don't think there is any "best" online pond retailer. I tend to just look around for the best prices from reputable sites ( unfortunately amazon usually has the best deals ) and order from whoever will save me the most money.

Ask a Question