Planning My First Pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello! I've never had a pond before and got the idea to build one this week. I tend to dive right into my projects and they aren't always the best when completed because of the little amount of research I put into them before I start taking action.
I have several fish tanks inside and have 4 goldfish in a 50 gallon tank that I will soon have to upgrade them out of. I am attacking this project slowly since my goldfish are doing well in their current set up and I don't want to put them in a half-assed pond if I can just get a larger tank setup.
My current outside project is cleaning up my old chicken coop and pen. I started to get the idea of putting a little pond, maybe 150-200 gallons, in the pen since I don't have hens anymore. I live in New Hampshire and have a lot of wildlife that like to eat things (coyotes got my last flock of hens when they were free ranging). I thought perhaps the chicken wire for the pen would help protect the goldfish from raccoons and other nasty pet eating critters.
My questions right now are: What kinds of filters would be best for a 150-200 gal setup? Are there any setup designs that are best suited for the winter and freezing? Are there any suggestions and tips for size and care of the pond since I would like to keep the goldfish in the pond year round? New Hampshire has very rocky soil, so are there any specific liners that would be better suited for that, or does it not matter? Any other tips and suggestions would be much appreciated.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome!

Your first consideration should be winter - a pond as small as the one you are describing may not be able to hold fish over the winter as it could potentially freeze solid. Make it at least 2 feet deep and you may be OK though. Go as big as you can - you'll be glad you did!

The fence would be a good idea to keep out land predators, but ponds are also prone to air borne predators as well.

The very best liner is 45 mil EPDM. There are thicker liners, but they can be more difficult to work with especially in a small pond as they are thicker and less pliable.

I filter my pond with a bog filter - I highly recommend it! You could also use a combo waterfall/filter - called a bio-falls. Similar concept, bit different in construction. For a goldfish only pond your filtration needs are much more modest than if you were planning for koi (which you wouldn't in a pond your size).

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
upload_2018-5-25_9-28-31.gif
@NHFarmGirl

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Welcome! Before you dive in to your project, go on youtube and watch The Pond Digger's videos. They have lots of helpful hints that can apply to building all sorts of different ponds. I went with the How to Build a Fish Pond series and tried to follow his instructions for the 8 x 10 pond. As most everyone here will tell you, go as large as your stamina and budget will allow. Be sure to post pictures of your project! We can all live vicariously through you as you dig and build! Very exciting!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Welcome @NHFarmGirl , we're all super excited to see where this venture takes you. You've already received some good advice above. Keep asking questions and let us know how things are working out for you!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you all for the warm welcome!
I've measured the pen and it is 10' by 20'. I might get more chickens later, so my current plan is to make the pond dimensions 5' by 5' and with a depth of 2' to 3'. I'll have to make sure that I have a netting to put over the surface in case the possible chickens get hungry.
I'll watch the pond digger videos and I have already started watching videos by the pond guy.
Thank you for the tips so far! I will definitely post more questions and pictures when I get started actually digging.

Last edited:

Ask a Question