planning on making a filter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a-9b
Country
United Kingdom
hi, so a little background
i built this pond last summer as ive always wanted one and as i had bought my own house the oppurtunity was there, at the time i was on a budget and so everything was bought off of gumtree (pump,filter,liner etc) ive now upgraded the pump to a blagdon summin or other all i know is that the pipe has gone from 1/2" to 1/1/4 with a massive increase in flow. whilst with a couple modifications the filter box i have is working fine ive decided to try and tidy the look of the pond up by creating a filter hidden within a decking box almost taking in a bench feel to it.

my idea for the internals of the filter is much the same as a sump on a tank, with the water entering one section and following a tortuous path through various different media and then returning to the pond, just wondering if this is worth doing or just buy a bigger filter and box it accordingly,

thanks

tom

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Draw out your design prior to building it. The best filters are up-flow whereby the water enters from the bottom of the filter, is forced upwards through the media (matala mats are best, easy to clean...use two different mesh sizes), and then exits from the top of the filter.

Ensure that it's large enough for the pond volume. Ensure that the pump won't overpower the capacity.

Build it for easy access, cleaning, shutdown, etc.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Nothing wrong with a budget .You save and you have that money for other things .Especially with a new house or even any house .I used a tote and tank adapter and lava rock .Cheap and still works great on a 5000 gallon pond ,except now tote is replaced by stock tanks .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a-9b
Country
United Kingdom
thanks for your replies, still getting my head round what i want to do.

Nothing wrong with a budget .You save and you have that money for other things .Especially with a new house or even any house .I used a tote and tank adapter and lava rock .Cheap and still works great on a 5000 gallon pond ,except now tote is replaced by stock tanks .

gotta ask, whats a tote? not something ive heard of sorry

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
thanks for your replies, still getting my head round what i want to do.

gotta ask, whats a tote? not something ive heard of sorry
Something like these....
image.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a-9b
Country
United Kingdom
ah i see just a plastic tub, wasnt sure if it was anything special, thanks for clearing up :)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
ah i see just a plastic tub, wasnt sure if it was anything special, thanks for clearing up :)
In the ponding world, the generic reference to plastic tubs is "tote." At least here in North America. We recently had another member from [I think it was the UK] who didn't know ;) And when I say "generic," it can refer to just about any similar type of tub, tote, or plastic box -- whatever style or size that suits your purpose.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a-9b
Country
United Kingdom
oh yeah i get you, think its a term that hasnt made it over the water yet, will have a look today as i got the day off see what i can knock up

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Draw out your design prior to building it. The best filters are up-flow whereby the water enters from the bottom of the filter, is forced upwards through the media (matala mats are best, easy to clean...use two different mesh sizes), and then exits from the top of the filter.

Ensure that it's large enough for the pond volume. Ensure that the pump won't overpower the capacity.

Build it for easy access, cleaning, shutdown, etc.
I agree , try to make vertical , water inlet at bottom , some circular motion , most of the sand , particles will settledown without cloging media and hv outlet valve at bottom to remove this residue , half of the cleaning will b done by backwash or draining it monthly ,add some type of structure or net above it thn biomedia , on top sponges then warer reaches outlet 2 holes at top . drum or big bucket will b good fr it

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a-9b
Country
United Kingdom
OK so I may have deviated slightly from plan. Went to lfs today to buy bits and its shutting down with up to 75% off so I bought a new filter pump and hoses for £50 instead of £200 so yeah job done really :) just gotta build a box to hide it. Thabks for your help :)

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
That was a great cigarette, Haro, a bang-on fag..........

Ask a Question