Planning pond build but have questions

Reaction score
Thanks DrDave for all the info.
DrCase, I haven't decided. For a temporary cap I will use brick or block. I will finish it with what ever I use for the patio so it will match and it will be on the walls too.

Reaction score
I finally was able to get some photo's of the area that I'm working with so everyone can see my work area. The trash can on the end will be where my filter is located, I will probably use the 55 gallon drum idea that DrDave suggested. Should I use a bottom drain and if so can it be run back through the drum filter or will this be needed?

Attachments

• IMG_1083-2.JPG
    IMG_1083-2.JPG
    135.7 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG_1089-2.JPG
    IMG_1089-2.JPG
    120.4 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_1090-2.JPG
    IMG_1090-2.JPG
    139.2 KB · Views: 349

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Do not tie any drains from the pond to the 55 gallon drum. That is your Bio filter.

If you want a bottom drain in your pond, have it go somewhere else, preferably to an area where the water is needed for irrigation.

How much room do you have perpendicular to the wall? Can the waterfall/filter be there and the pond extend out 15 or 20 feet from the house?

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
justbecause the picture,s help a lot . i would put my filter under the deck as high up as i could , but still have access to work on filter top. build your water fall where the trash can is up against the deck . you wont have to hide as much . i see you needing to put a block wall up against your house so you can have an edge to separate the vinyl siding. the blocks need to be all set in mortar and have some suport in them , water has a lot of weight

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I guess the operative question of the moment is:
How many gallons do you plan on this pond to be or how large in feet?

Reaction score
2 blocks high which is about 15" and I will dig down another 24" for a total of about 3-4ft deep. It will be 5ft. wide and about 13ft. long. The calculator I used gave me a total of about 1200gallons.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
DrDave were on the same page ... justbecause hiding the liner and natural look needs to be built in to your top block. i will post a picture soon.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
justbecause this is how i hide my liner . it still lets my sides look good even if the water level gets low . my koi love to climb on the rocks to get food on them .

Attachments

• hidden eadge.jpg
    hidden eadge.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 342

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
i have some in the gallery .under garden pond pictures. my top pond is made with blocks above ground. two ft deep and faced with rock

Reaction score
I got a plastic 55gal. drum today. Getting things together slowly. DrDave, about how many feet of hose is required to get those 7000 peices and is the black irrigation tubing you spoke of a soaker hose? What did you use to cut it up?

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
justbecause my top pond has a bio filter made out of a landry tub has 1 1/2 " bottom drain 2" discharge to waterfall that feeds my lower pond

Ask a Question