Plans and pictures for new pond - need input, please!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
OK, I finally have drawn out tentative plans for my pond, and then took pictures of the area, after I laid out some pieces of wood (leftover from the deck railing, which my son just finished Tues!). I will try to explain what I want and how I plan to do it, and then PLEASE give me some input . . . if I'm going at it wrong, you won't hurt my feelings! If you can give suggestions to things I have not thought of (and I'm certain those are plenty), suggest away! My dad always said I took "constructive criticism" well. :)

Well, shucks, the pics won't download. Well, I can explain a couple of things I would really like to get an answer to this evening, as the blocks I plan to use to build up the level of the pond are on sale thru Sunday, and I will be gone Sat. and Sun., so tomorrow is it! If I don't get all the questions answered, I will buy the blocks, can always return them!

My pond will be about 10-16" above the ground level, so that I won't have to worry about any ground water running into it. I want to build up the sides with the landscape stones (the ones that have slight curve to the front, a little "lip" on the back under edge), and then place natural flat stone pieces on top of that "wall". I like the "modern" plus "natural" look. What I wonder is if I will need to dig a footing, or if I can lay the landscape stones on the ground, after, of course, leveling it, and putting layer (2"?) of sand underneath them. This will be for the outside edges, or about 65% of the pond circumference.

On the back edge, that will be close to the deck (which is about 2" above the ground level), I want to use blocks that I found at my place when I bought it. They are clay type, have 2 large holes, like concrete blocks. Can I use them instead of buying the landscape stones? If so, would I need a footing under them? I do plan to dig them down deeper on the back side, and lay a drain pipe. My yard, BTW, has very little fall, it's very flat. I do not plan to use a drain, as there is no where it would drain out, unless it was pumped out, and I don't think that's the idea. Suggestion here?

I will try to download the pics in the next frame. Thanks for your help!

Patti

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
View attachment 5030

View attachment 5031

Hmm . . . Well, I think the drawings I did of the pond plans are attached, although they look strange. If they are, I did 2 pictures, one that shows just the pond close up, and the other that shows how is lays in relations to the deck and steps, etc. I've seen several ponds with Japanese Maple trees, and found a dwarf today that is only supposed to get 4-6' tall, and 4' wide, sometimes up to 6' wide, so bought it. It is shown where I want to place it, and when/if I get the pictures downloaded, it will be in a couple of them as well.

Attachments

• Pond plans with dimensions.jpg
    Pond plans with dimensions.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 366
  • Pond design close up.jpg
    Pond design close up.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 323
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
It seems like my pictures are too large, so I'm having to resize them. Hopefully this one will work. Not even sure which one I'm attaching, but it is a picture of the area with the pond laid out on the grass. Not going to say much, wait and see how big it is, before I resize others to attach.

Attachments

• Pond design resized.jpg
    Pond design resized.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 375
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
OK, think my pics are too large, but seems have to make them teeny tiny to work. Any suggestions? Maybe it doesn't matter, since you can click on it and upsize it! This is a picture of the 2 types of block I'm suggesting using.

The gray is landscape stone, although I will be using red/black color. The brown is the old block that I have laying in my garage, had been in basement in between board for shelves, that I want to use for footing in back where it won't show. Can I simply stack them, or willI have to put mortar in between or something?

Attachments

• Blocks for foundation resized.jpg
    Blocks for foundation resized.jpg
    949 bytes · Views: 339

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Looks like the second pic got resized to small, can't make much out with it. Wish I could help out more with the blocks but I haven't used any kind of build up except landscape timbers so far to date. I did want to put my thoughts in on the position of the pond. With such a nice sitting area made into your deck is there a reason you aren't centering the pond to the sitting area? By the time you get the hole dug and the hill built up for the water fall your going to be able to see and view the water fall with ease. IMO you're going to want as much viewing room as possible, that is going to become the most popular area in your back yard! Nice deck BTW, When you go to consider lighting, I mounted a small flood light on my deck and aimed it toward the pond, In your case I would recommend using two and if possible going to LED type. They show the fish and plants better, the fish swim more normal and the light is aimed away from you while viewing on the deck and you don't get the bright reflection back at you. I like the plan! You may want to see how much of the filter and electrical boxes you can hide under the deck, Your plans show it behind the waterfall which again has me wondering if there is a reason.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Agree with fishin, I would have it more centered on the deck, hide the equipment under the deck, which is very nice. I think if you do it like you have it drawn your nice sitting viewing area is mostly looking at the filters, pump. Move the waterfall over to the edge of the viewing area. Love the Japanese maple, they are so pretty. If you want the maple to be where you drew it in relation to the pond, make the pond a little longer.

Make sure you keep a nice deep area for the fish when it gets cold. 3-4 at least.

You don't show skimmers drains etc are you going to have them?

Blocks should either have a foundation, of sand, crushed gravel, concrete. Your area most like freezes like ours do and the ground likes to heave, and it very nicely moves blocks. You want to have under them something that will drain any moisture i.e. snow rain water away so it does not turn to ice and heave the blocks. There is crushed gravel with dust that compacts beautifully.

You are not having them go that high, I would at least put some rebar down the center of them using the hole and put some dirt / concrete/ sand in the holes to make them more stable.

The other ones for the front will work fine, those with the lip make a nice wall.

Do you have herons in your area? if so make those plants shelves at least 2 feet deep they like to use them to stand on and fish i.e. eat your fish.

Resize your pictures to 800 pixels that works well.

That is going to be really nice when you are done.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Well, I've not had the resizing problem in the past, so will have boyfriend help me this weekend. Thanks for the pointers, Fishin and Addy! I appreciate it. I DID think about centering the pond with the low sitting area, but wondered about "falling in" issues. :) No little kids around here yet, but grandkids maybe someday ,. . . Also, I like the idea of putting the pump, filter, etc. under the deck, but that brings my next question.

I assume that I have to bring my filter system inside the garage for the winter? It seems to be the part most important with the bacterial matter, and if I drain it so it doesn't freeze and break (I plan to do one of the DIY filter systems on this site), then the bacterial will be dead as well, right?

Can someone tell me what I will need to get to easily and often (I read rinsing out filter matter with pond water several times a month to begin with in the spring). If I put things under the deck, I will need to pull them out, and a filter full of water would be heavy, so have to keep that in mind. Not sure how I was going to hide the back of the waterfall, though.

Addy, your pointers on the blocks are right inline with me, since I have the landscape stones edging my landscaping, and they didn't move much. If they did, I walked them down when the frost came out and leveled them again. I just wondered if the pond water would make a difference behind them. I DO plan to keep a floating heater to keep the water from freezing, though.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
remember trees shed leaves .I have a lace leaf one in red and those leaves are a nightmare they blow everywhere .They are so fine they even end up blowing all the way over to the pond and the tree is on the other side of the porch and that porch is 100 feet long .I love the look of them but they are messy .I had planned to put it next to my pond and tried it there but had to take it up .I ended up putting in 2 cold hardy palms one is a needle palm (big mistake those needles hurt lol) and one fan palm .They grow slow but add to the tropical look of the pond .But they do give a lot of shade and those fan leaves get big .I waited until end of season got them at lowes for 5 and 10 dollars

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I built my pond up with retaining wall block on the outside and inside where the liner went up I used concrete block and used rebar pounded down in the ground and then block was filled with dirt to hold them in place

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If you use retaining wall block statr wider because they narrow the hole up as you go higher with them.The first pic is my friend she comes every morning to sit a warm her bus on my rock by the pond .

Attachments

• pond 001.jpg
    pond 001.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 315
  • new pond 001.jpg
    new pond 001.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 370

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Just wanted to tell everyone led pond lights jebao the ones I have they are on ebay at a great price 3 light 32.99 5 light ones 50.99 great price I love mine easyforuse is selling them and they are great energy saving and do not give off all that heat the others do

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
ooops notice she warms her buns on my rock oh and country I love that deck looks great

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
pond liners on ebay 1/2 off pondliners selling liners like 153 dollars for 15 x15 free shipping .The company is called 1/2offpondliners they have lots of sizes 45 mil thick also.Look at pond liners and in left corner of page are other companies that sell pond stuff

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Tuck the filter around the far edge of the deck, move the pond to in front of the sitting viewing area, if you end up with little kids but up some fence, screening to keep them from falling in.

Your deck is a little low, was not thinking of that.

Ask a Question