Plans and pictures for new pond - need input, please!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The frogs like to sit there too, that is their favorite hang out place in my big pond. did the same jw, on the up slope and sides of the pond, a shallow ledge with rocks, then more rocks out of the water. So when the water goes up and down in level you never see the liner.

Pick me out a truck load and drive it over jw! I will gladly pay you 20!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I'll get right on that addy just as soon as gas goes down to 1 cent per gallon :bouncycig:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
awwwwwwwwww geez well not holding my breath!

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
It looks like you have room to let the deck edge of the pond disappear under the deck and make the pond feel bigger..

As far as my effingham connection
My grandparents had a nice lake house there back in the 70s ..And I have 2 uncles that live there now

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I agree with you, Addy! I'd gladly pay $20 per truck load for those rocks. I'll have to check out local places, see if I can land some type of deal on rocks, too! I have the truck.
I really like that idea of the rocks on the inside ledge, too! The outside will be "modern" looking with the landscape stones, but I do want the pond from the top side, to look more natural, so I like that idea. Just have to think it out while digging! LOTS of things to think about.
And, KoiGuy, I have a basement, and it's extremely tempting to put up a tank there like you do, but think I'd best keep them outside and use a heater. I guess I wonder, too, about pipes that run the water from skimmer to waterfall. Is there no worries about it freezing and breaking? Must be rubber or some type of material other than plastic line, right? Sorry so may questions, but I sure appreciate all the feedback!
Got my sidewalk sod removed, and most of the dirt removed that needed to be, get sand tomorrow, start laying stones tomorrow or Wed, if rain stays away! Can't wait to get sidewalk done, so can start digging the pond! Yippee!!!
Dr., the Lake Sara lots are very nice, still! Great place to go and watch fireworks on the 4th. :)

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We dug our lines down, 3 feet or so. Also made them so they can be totally drained once it gets to our cold weather season. Used 2 inch pvc. The pump, once we build it this summer, will be in a small pump house, but it is installed to be easily removed and drained for the winter.

The skimmer, I will either a) fill it with bubble wrap displacing most of the water, B) stick in black 3 ml plastic bag and squirt in the expanding foam, displacing the water. We had around 8 inches of ice on the pond by mid february.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Well, I know that it will freeze here, so not my concern is how to keep pipes from freezing. I sure don't want to have to dig them up every spring. But, this past winter, there was a terrible ice storm that went through, some houses were w/o electricity for 7 days! If that happened here, I would hate to have to have a generator JUST for the pond, although I know I would have to use one for the heater at least! LOL So, I'm still undecided on whether to keep it running all winter, or shut it down and take pump inside. That still doesn't help the pipes ... I can dig them down, though, but my yard is so flat, there would be no way to naturally drain them. Is there a way to force all water out of the pipes and cap them for the winter? And the skimmer I saw looked like it could have been lifted for the winter, but I didn't look close enough maybe. I just don't want to have to re-do things come next spring, make sure get it done right this time around, at least as much as possible. :)

Reaction score
CE if you have an air compressor you can buy an attachment( any hardware or big box ) for the size of pipe you intend to use blow all the water out then you know there not gonna freeze, Peace.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Pond Boy said:
CE if you have an air compressor you can buy an attachment( any hardware or big box ) for the size of pipe you intend to use blow all the water out then you know there not gonna freeze, Peace.

I was just getting ready to type that when I read your post pondboy! We have enough slope to drain our lines they climb 20 feet to the top of the stream.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Thanks, Addy, and Pond Boy, I was sure there was some way to force water out of the pipes! Now I know what to ask for. Thanks very much. That at least gives me the option to drain the pipes and shut at least the waterfall down. I could still keep a fountain running to help circulate water and generate oxygen for the fish during the winter.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
There is always a way, countryescape........just need to figure out the way

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
You're right, Addy! And, I'm finding the way every day! My sister, who lives in AZ and has a pretty large pond, says to move pond away from deck, so I can "maintain" it easier. Everyone here says to put it up against the deck, and use the deck to hide the back edge, which I tend to agree with. Any maintenance issues I'm not thinking about as far as the back edge? I plan to keep it about 1' from the deck, however, so I CAN get behind it to replace stones, etc. but figure there is not much else that would be needed to be gotten to from that side besides rocks falling in.
It stormed here last night, tornado warnings, severe T-storms, but I made it through! Watched it come and go, actually. Now my sidewalk area is muddy, so will have to delay that for a day or so. I'm so anxious to get started on the pond, but figure there is a reason for the delay, something more I will think about and learn before I get to digging . . .

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you can reach across it with a net, to gather leaves, brush it etc there would not be too many reasons you would have to get to the deck side. The one side of my pond has a rock wall of about 3-4 feet covering the uphill side of the slope, not easy to navigate or get to that edge of the pond, so far no real reason. My net reaches down to the pond, (you could reach from deck) and I can walk the bog to get what ever I miss.

Reaction score
Actually my first thought, was "move that away from the deck!" I have little patience with inaccessibility, LOL. I was also concerned about runoff from the deck going into the pond. It seems to me the line of sight from the deck would be better if the pond is out a bit. You can check that out for yourself.

You know your place and your tastes better than anyone else. I just know that my second pond has a lot more walking space around it than my first.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
And my next pond is gonna have more walking space around it if there is a next pond :rolleyes:

Ask a Question