Plans & dreams

Reaction score
Ok, its gonna take a while till first shovel is in the dirt but im not really in a hurry. When im doing small things i like to work in situ or trying things right away and in place, for bigger projects (like this) i like to ferment ideas and have fun with plans. Besides, i have to collect money for whole thing.
Maybe i should mention weather first. Where i live is about usda zone 7 or so, yearly average temp is 54F. I saw some ponds in area and theres no really much ice to speak of. I *have* lots of ice on that tub pond in introductory thread but its few feet above ground on northern side of house, so its no wonder it freezes (2-4 inches of ice).

I live in small town so no potential predators except few dogs and loads of cats. I know that lots of USA ponders have problems with racoons or deers but no such things here (in Kassel/Germany there are lost of racoons). We have big national park south of town with lots of flooded area so there could be some problems with birds.

This down is piece of land ive been given for project. Correct dimensions and one initial plan you can see below.

IMG_9188.JPG

Untitled.jpg

AutoSave_tlocrt.jpg

Dirt is of heavy, sticky loam type and theres some slope towards bottom of garden (i havent measure it yet). Measures are in meter , multiply by 3 to get (almost) feets.
That two boxes for compost would go to other side of garden but i would like to leave that dug-in water collector (where those pipes are).
I imagend that there will be two levels. Fist part is that bricks patio and with 2-3 stairs it would go to lower part which trail would lead over small bridge , by the pond, to the back of garden with wood patio . Bridge would go over small canal for that bog in the corner. Privacy screen would be about 50 juniperus virginiana "Scyrocket", because they are tall and thin so they dont take much space.
Concerning pond and flora/fauna... I was thinking to make pond as deep as possible (5 feet or so), not so much because of ice but to get lots of volume of water to avoid filtering or eventualy to have pump that will pump water to bog to act as filter. I know that number of fishes i can keep drops because of that but thats ok by me. I would like to have kois , but if not possible some goldens would be ok too.
Pond would be EPDM 1mm liner (would not know how much is that in US measures), which would be hard to find here since theres no market for that kind of thigs. Pond would have concrete collar with probably bricks on top and reading on subject theres mentioning that ill need about foot of distance from water level to the top of collar to protect fishes from predators..
Well thats about it. Its just a first version to work on but it a good start.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
gosh that looks like a good plan.Just remember your electric requirements for the pond .You could reverse it and put the pond part closer to the house for better viewing .I guess you are not planning on a waterfall as that will help you oxygenate the pond if you had one and plus the sound is very relaxing .The deeper the pond the better for keeping the water cool so that idea is great and love the pines but just be careful about pine needles that may blow off and into the pond ,they are very acidic

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Planning a raised bed, rockery, berm might help dispose of the dug material. I should'nt worry about predators as on a pond that size its realistic to apply any sort of trap, motion detector, net if it becomes apparent its needed

Regards, andy

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That looks wonderful! what a nice project.

Reaction score
gosh that looks like a good plan.Just remember your electric requirements for the pond .You could reverse it and put the pond part closer to the house for better viewing .I guess you are not planning on a waterfall as that will help you oxygenate the pond if you had one and plus the sound is very relaxing .The deeper the pond the better for keeping the water cool so that idea is great and love the pines but just be careful about pine needles that may blow off and into the pond ,they are very acidic

tnx! about position of pond... i wanted to move pond away from house because we have lots of fruit trees and trellis with grape (you can see it on bottom of first picture) which are sprayed with pesticides and fertilizers. And they are not sprayed with hand pumps but engine ones which creates mist and throw it high in the air. Thats why i put the pond away from house. Maybe ill still need to cover pond before spraying and first year there will be no expensive fish to avoid suprises. In any case i have to make sure that no ground water come into pond. High tree fence will also have function to protect pond from contamination during spraying.

For the electric needs i was planing underground cable to some kind od box with few sockets for light, pumps or something other. Box would be hid in the tree fence by the wood patio. I have some experience with electricity but just need to inform myself about waterproofing standards or generaly instalations for outside.

I also don like trees so close to pond but at least it not deciduous tree and juniperus virginiana dont have needles like pines but some kind of little branches so i hope it wont fall to much into pond. If that will be the case, i intend to put some wood fence between pond and closest trees.

I was thinking about cascades nad waterfalls between bog and pond (to use some slope when its there) but havent seen good example of visually incorporating waterfall into suroundings. I think that lots of waterfalls have too much stones and surrounding is not rocky, it just flat piece of land without pebble so waterfall just jumps out on you . I have to think about it what to do. I have seen some streams in mountain near me and they have some stones but mostly just silt and branches and logs stuck in stream. Maybe something similar could be done.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Oh I could see something there but did not know it was a grape vine and you sure don't want all that in the pond.I saw the vines but dumb me did not think about that mess .sorry.could work to make it more natural with logs but make sure they don't add anything bad to the water

Reaction score
I took a time today to measure slope and got ratio of 1:14 or 4 deegres slope (if i calculated correctly)

Some more pictures (edited level line in Paint for better view)

IMG_9190.JPG

IMG_9192.JPG

IMG_9191.JPG

IMG_9189.JPG

And i was thinking about dug-in water collector we use to store rainwater, its a 32 ft3 volume... Would it be good idea to bury it under wood patio on bottom of the garden and collect all excess water from pond via some overflow drainage/pipe? Besides collecting water, could it use function as water filter? Have some experience with diy water filters,made 500gph filter for aquarium . It works about 1 year without problem

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I love the pics of the way the houses are built there .I could not stop looking at the different looks of each one .Here when they build neighborhoods it seems you get cookie cutter homes .Meaning builders build the same home just change a little bit on each home .Are those all single family .I love all the decks ,but odd looks like your doesn't have railings on the decks and looks like you have a larger lot than others .Wow that is some large greenhouse also. I have underground tanks to collect rainwater from my gutters to water my plants and add fertilizer to the tanks and it does double duty .I use a pump to pump it out .dirty water pump works great as it can handle anything up to 2 inches going through it . Just love your pics though .

Reaction score
I love the pics of the way the houses are built there .I could not stop looking at the different looks of each one .Here when they build neighborhoods it seems you get cookie cutter homes .Meaning builders build the same home just change a little bit on each home .Are those all single family .I love all the decks ,but odd looks like your doesn't have railings on the decks and looks like you have a larger lot than others .Wow that is some large greenhouse also. I have underground tanks to collect rainwater from my gutters to water my plants and add fertilizer to the tanks and it does double duty .I use a pump to pump it out .dirty water pump works great as it can handle anything up to 2 inches going through it . Just love your pics though .

In Croatia, most houses are still privately build and each builder has its own idea how house should look like. There are also different levels of building knowledge, different budgets and as money is slowly trickling and family is growing you are (re)building things. For example, my house looked like two beside it (with flat roofs), its just got heavily adapted during years. Thats why it got patched look. It has 2 apartments (im on upper floor) with 700ft2 each.
Father is in retirement and loves to work in garden so we are in heavy surplus with vegetables, fruits, blackberry wine and something like vodka.
Actually , we have two containers... One is dug in and the other is raised above ground and used for drop watering via pipes.
Our lot is a bit smaller than others , it goes from greenhouse to smokehouse (but were given neighbour lots to use them for gardening)

Reaction score
I can't wait to see your construction pics. Your garden is awesome.

Yeah , i also hope im good builder as a planner hehe.

BTW does anybody have experience with Firestone EPDM liner? Its US company so maybe somebody know... I have found here in Croatia construction company which are selling Firestone liners and this one could be an option

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I think it is a lovely house and like what your family did too it and your father must have some green thumb .I think I would loan him my land too if i got free veggies out of it .I'm sure the pond will just add to the beauty you have there .

Ask a Question